Own a Martin? Like Martins? Interested in guitar history?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Hey Phil, my answer to all is no. I owned a D28, a 000-18 and built my own D18 copy as well as a D28 copy. The only ones I ever liked were the ones I built. I already know Martins story and it is a fascinating one and have been to the factory in Nazareth many times. Used to buy tonewood from them. They're first rate people, but there are so many gits out there that are much less expensive and sound BETTER than, not equal to a Martin that I would probably never buy another Martin again. That's just my opinion.

• Members
If the answer to any of those questions is "yes"' date=' you might want to check out a book called "The Martin Archives." I recently reviewed it - and it's far from your ordinary book.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. :wave:

Thanks, Phil! I'm going to dig up a copy. My Martin-loving hubby's birthday is just around the corner.

• Members

ive never cared for martins... well one my uncle had, an old 3/4 sized that played like butter... and he let us play it! never liked another one until I picked up a simple 1973 D12... no frills except for extensive luthier tweaks like stainless frets, strung like a ric, etc... by far its my favorite twelve and it has nothing to do with the name on the headstock... it was the luthiers pet guitar

• Members

I'm sure he'll enjoy it - that's very thoughtful of you! :cool2:

Found it on Amazon and when it arrived I couldn't resist pawing through it very gently...I didn't want da hubs to think it was used. What a treat it is! It's all wrapped up and hidden now, waiting for that b-day about 5-or-so weeks away.

I soooo hope he likes it! He spoils me and I truly want to spoil him right back. :-)

Thanks so much for the post Phil. :-D

• Members

BTW... I really ilke Martins but only certain ones. I've played a bunch. Hubster's D41 doesn't hold an candle to his D28 that I dearly love. That fancy-ass D41? Meh. Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

His D12X1 sounds radically different than my same one, a D12X1. I recorded "Mountainsong" on mine. His is a great git, but different...no ass end. Mine was one of the last of the USA-Made ones, his was done in Mexico, Difference? Yeppers, there is one, though the specs are the same. Go figure.

Honestly, I don't know what the D28 will sound like when it returns from Nazareth. It's the most fabulous vintage (60s) git I've ever gotten my hands on. It got a neck reset and a whole lot of other work done - a year's worth. Bridge, finish, and a bunch of other stuff - I can't wait to read what the guys at Martin had to say about it.

I loved it when I recorded "Canyons" but now? Ain't got a clue! Once hubs lets me get my hands on it it'll be like....what? I'll let y'all know.

Found it on Amazon and when it arrived I couldn't resist pawing through it very gently...I didn't want da hubs to think it was used. What a treat it is! It's all wrapped up and hidden now, waiting for that b-day about 5-or-so weeks away.

I soooo hope he likes it! He spoils me and I truly want to spoil him right back. :-)

Thanks so much for the post Phil. :-D

You're so welcome. I hope it's a big hit with him. If he likes Martins, I'm sure it will be. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Phil...Hubby LOVED IT!! So has everyone else who's looked at it. It's simply wonderful and exceeded my expectations a thousand times over. Thanks again for this great recommendation. I can personally say that if you know a Martin Lover, this book is for that person. :D2

Archived