How To Record Acoustic On Budget Mics

• Members

Hey Guys,

I need to record acoustic guitar tracks for production music. The guitar will be mainly strumming and occasionally doing a lead.

I have a Rode NT-1A Condenser and 2 Audix ADX-51 pencils. The mics will be going through a UA Twin Finity pre.

What recording method would work best with my limited mic collection?

What acoustic guitar are you using?

I'd probably start with the Audix mikes in either an XY Stereo configuration, placed in front of the soundhole and about a foot or so away from the guitar, or using them as a spaced pair, with one near the 14th fret, and the other one behind the bridge and aimed at the lower bout.

Which of the two methods I'd select would depend on the sound of the guitar itself...

• Members

Hey Phil,

I think he has a Martin. Possibly the Macassar.

I guess I will have to order one of the those XY mic holders. I remember reading once about a method of setting up the large condenser in front of the sound hole but aiming it at the 12th fret. Perhaps I am wrong about the fret. I do understand I will not get a stereo spread this way.

Hey Phil,

I think he has a Martin. Possibly the Macassar.

I guess I will have to order one of the those XY mic holders. I remember reading once about a method of setting up the large condenser in front of the sound hole but aiming it at the 12th fret. Perhaps I am wrong about the fret. I do understand I will not get a stereo spread this way.

If you're going to be doing a single mic acoustic guitar recording with a LDC, I'd normally recommend putting the LDC near the 14th fret and angling it in towards (but usually not directly at) the soundhole. Placing a LDC right in front of the soundhole is usually way too boomy for my tastes.

Why do I recommend putting the XY pair there then? Because the way an XY pair works, placing the pair in front of the soundhole means that neither mic will be pointed directly at the hole, but to either side of it.

• Members

If you have a quiet and nice sounding room, you could also try micing the guitar from 5 or 6 feet away in a pseudo Mid/Side setup. The Rode pointing directly at the source, and the Audix two perpendicular to the Rodes (pointing right & left).

Feed the Rode to the right side of a stereo track, and mix the Audix's with the left side inverted and feed to the left side of the stereo track.

Apply a Mid/Side decoder and you're in business.

Archived