seeking advice on setting up an acoustic... pickups, direct in, digital wireless...

• Members

i thought i knew what i wanted to do... but after reading numerous reviews and articles i'm more confused than ever... lr baggs soundhole mounted magnetic p-up? or piezo lens system? or something like K&K country system? then DI or not? is it that critical to sound? again lr baggs para? and then digital wireless... i hated the old uhf vhf systems ... the highs were terrible the sound barely passable... are the new digital systems really all they claim? i have a choice between a sennheiser 1000x and a brace audio 1000x... is there a way to simplify this?

• Members

Most, if not all, of the high end wireless systems are uhf or vhf (I honestly cant remember what they generally are).

The easiest thing to use on a stage is a guitar with an internal pickup since they are a lot less prone to feedback than a mic. If you mixer is right next to you then you might not need a DI, but if you are running to a board that is far away then you do need the DI. I use a DI all the time, they arent expensive and take no time to set up really. The sound hole pickups that I have used, a long time ago, did the job but dont sound as good as a piezo pickup imo.

I think a little more clarity in your post is needed, its a bit confusing. Maybe that is just the CA educational system at work, but Im not really sure what the main question is.

• Members

Your complaints about UHF wireless are completely unfounded and untrue... unless you are using bottom of the barrel music store crapola. I have maybe 20 UHF system and they are used all the time by pro level touring acts on both vocals and instruments including acoustics.

I suspect that you are more than confused ;)

• Members

i thought i knew what i wanted to do... but after reading numerous reviews and articles i'm more confused than ever... lr baggs soundhole mounted magnetic p-up? or piezo lens system? or something like K&K country system? then DI or not? is it that critical to sound? again lr baggs para? and then digital wireless... i hated the old uhf vhf systems ... the highs were terrible the sound barely passable... are the new digital systems really all they claim? i have a choice between a sennheiser 1000x and a brace audio 1000x... is there a way to simplify this?

Well, what kind of guitar do you have and what do you plan to do with it (in what sort of performance context, what style, etc.)? The best options will follow from the answers to those questions.

Louis

• Members

This may be a bit too technical to follow ... but the author's conclusions are pretty straightforward.

Conclusions that are "straight forward", but awfully marketing oriented and derived from some measurements that do not tell the whole story IMO. The compander mistracking measurements are generally pretty inaudable on most of the better UHF units like the UHF-R, AT 4000/5000 (and even the 3000), the Sennheiser E-300's and all Lectrosonics models I have tested. The ULX is not what I would consider "pro" level, though many folks use it without problems as well.

I think a little information interpreted in a casual way by folks lacking the translation between measurements and the real world make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I would agree however that many of the MI grade wireless are not good choices performance-wise.

Archived