Gigging Using Public Transit

• Members

I've lived most of my life in the South, in small to medium size cities, therefore public transportation isn't even an afterthought. I have lived in some of the larger US cities before but I didn't gig while living in them.

Anyway from time to time on various forums I hear stories of people "gigging" using public transportation. In my context and frame of reference it is just unfathomable to wrap my mind around the idea. Usually it turns into some type of macho thread with the stories getting a little out of hand but I would really like to hear experiences of people who gig relying on nothing but public transportation..

• CMS Author

Are you talking about traveling to a gig (with your stuff, I assume) by public transport? Or are you talking about playing a gig on the bus or in the subway or train station?

I often see people getting on the subway with a guitar case, but I don't know if they're going to a gig, a party, a lesson, or maybe the pawn shop. I've seen people carrying guitar amplifiers on the subway, but not drum kits.

There was a time back when airline flights were enjoyable when American Airlines had a piano bar on their 747s, and PSA often had a singer/guitarist entertaining live on their short flights up and down the west coast.

• Members
Are you talking about traveling to a gig (with your stuff, I assume) by public transport? Or are you talking about playing a gig on the bus or in the subway or train station?

I often see people getting on the subway with a guitar case, but I don't know if they're going to a gig, a party, a lesson, or maybe the pawn shop. I've seen people carrying guitar amplifiers on the subway, but not drum kits.

There was a time back when airline flights were enjoyable when American Airlines had a piano bar on their 747s, and PSA often had a singer/guitarist entertaining live on their short flights up and down the west coast.

Yeah, I apologize if I wasn't clear. I'm talking about using public transportation as a means to get you and your gear to a gig.

You mean, like taking the subway or a city bus?

No thanks!

I've got a gig coming up next weekend, and I'm bringing a guitar, a backup guitar, a small pedalboard and a gig bag - I've decided to use an amp that belongs to one of my friends that I've been using at rehearsals... anyway, even without the amp, and even if I left the backup guitar at home, it's just barely manageable in one trip. I couldn't imagine trying to carry all of that on a crowded bus or subway car. And my usual live rig, with two amps, a pair of larger pedalboards and at least two guitars, plus stands, gig bag, etc? There's no way I could take that on a subway without two people to help carry it all.

The folks that live in the cities and do this must 1) pack really light and 2) have a backline at the gig that they can use so they don't have to worry about hauling an amp to the gig.

You need to take some more ukulele gigs.

I'll need to get a ukulele and learn how to play it first... ;)

I used to have to walk home from school when I was a high school freshman carrying a baritone sax. There were many hot fall and spring afternoons when I wished I had decided to play piccolo instead. ;)

• Members

No thanks!

I've got a gig coming up next weekend, and I'm bringing a guitar, a backup guitar, a small pedalboard and a gig bag - I've decided to use an amp that belongs to one of my friends that I've been using at rehearsals... anyway, even without the amp, and even if I left the backup guitar at home, it's just barely manageable in one trip. I couldn't imagine trying to carry all of that on a crowded bus or subway car. And my usual live rig, with two amps, a pair of larger pedalboards and at least two guitars, plus stands, gig bag, etc? There's no way I could take that on a subway without two people to help carry it all.

The folks that live in the cities and do this must 1) pack really light and 2) have a backline at the gig that they can use so they don't have to worry about hauling an amp to the gig.

I believe it can be done under very limited circumstances but some people exaggerate to the point of being ridiculous.

• Members

I'll need to get a ukulele and learn how to play it first... ;)

Playing the ukulele is easy. Whatever fingering you would use on the four high strings of a guitar, the same fingering will get the chord a fourth up.

Oh and the fourth string is tuned an octave higher.

I used to have to walk home from school when I was a high school freshman carrying a baritone sax. There were many hot fall and spring afternoons when I wished I had decided to play piccolo instead. ;)

"I started out playing the flute but the candelabra kept falling off" - Liberace

• Members

Playing the ukulele is easy. Whatever fingering you would use on the four high strings of a guitar, the same fingering will get the chord a fourth up.

Oh and the fourth string is tuned an octave higher.

Almost true, but that's not the case for a soprano ukulele. However, that's an advantage because I use different fingerings, come up with different riffs, and get inspired.

If airlines count as public transportation, when I was gigging a lot in Europe I had what I called "the carry-on concert" - guitar went in the overhead, and I had an AdrenaLinn, volume pedal, and several cables in my carry-on bag. I'd plug directly into the PA system...done. The guitar was a Peavey Milano, because if it had to go in the cargo hold, even Delta or United airlines couldn't destroy it.

• CMS Author

Almost true, but that's not the case for a soprano ukulele. However, that's an advantage because I use different fingerings, come up with different riffs, and get inspired.

If airlines count as public transportation, when I was gigging a lot in Europe I had what I called "the carry-on concert" - guitar went in the overhead, and I had an AdrenaLinn, volume pedal, and several cables in my carry-on bag. I'd plug directly into the PA system...done.

I think I know what you mean, but did you mean that you did a concert on the plane by plugging directly into the aircraft PA system?

• Members

...There was a time back when airline flights were enjoyable when American Airlines had a piano bar on their 747s, and PSA often had a singer/guitarist entertaining live on their short flights up and down the west coast.

That sure wouldn't make flying inside the US any more enjoyable today.

• Members

No thanks!

I hear ya.

I don't live in Boston, but the Berklee students do it all the time. Boston is a rather small city at a 1/10 of the size of LA, and since it was laid out about 400 years ago, it's not the best city to get around with in a car.

2be21e-GTELECTRICTN_detail1.jpg

GTACOUSTTAN-large.jpg?c597850ad8

mach2combo8-bundle2.jpg

613zjey%2BaDL._SX355_.jpg

So you load your cords and this multi effects box in the front pouch of the guitar case. Now you got the amp in a gig bad on one shoulder, and the guitar on the other shoulder. In the day time you hop between classes and jam session, at night you practice more and do some gigging.

I usually haul way to much gear, but some of my funnest shows is where I walked in with my mandolin, and it was mic'ed up.

It can be done, and it it done.

Archived