Experience with Powersoft Audio amps?

• Members

My RCF 522A's use powersoft amps. I'm very happy with the sound, but there was an initial design flaw with the early models (mine included). The epoxy or resin used to hold something in the amp would fail. Not sure if it was heat or vibration related. This has happened twice to me. Unfortunately both times in the same speaker. I guess I've been lucky with the other speaker. I'm sure you've seen the price points of the stuff. It's going to be a boutique line for you for sure. Small, lightweight amps with power for days, but the price tag of a good used car.

• Members

Bill,

I believe a guy on Prosound web forums did an in depth analysis of the Powersoft K-series line against the likes of Crown and Lab Gruppen's best. I remember him posting up detail usage and analysis reports showing the Powersoft were the best at sustaining high power, especially with demanding sub loads. They are probably the top 3 amps in the world. 1U in size seems unbeatable to me.

• Members

I work with a couple of folks who own them and both are happy as can be. Super efficient, great build quality and they DO deliver. One contracter that we use sometimes uses a 1ru unit to power his entire Adamson sub setup. Just tickling the meters, the kick drum will deafen you at 150' in a 2500 seat room (of course he's directly tied into the 200A service via camlocks for this). I know this room and it's not because of the acoustics but because of the amp/speaker combination.

Great stuff.

• Members

An interesting feature of the K series is that you can upgrade a K6 amp to the power of a K10 by purchasing a firmware upgrade. Note that any of the amps bigger than a K3 have quite a deep chassis, and the power cord they come with adds even more depth. I stock some right angle AMP parts to modify the factory cordsets so they don't add 6" to the rack depth.

The K3 and smaller, and the "M" series amps, are a more compact design.

• Members

Sure. But why not? You want the power, you pay for it.

Yup. That's the new way: You don't actually pay for the actual product, you pay for the segment that the marketeers have decided it will sit in.

It rubs me the wrong way, but that's the way business is done now. It will really bum me out when cars are offered in 10hp increments all having the same engine and components. And when all consumer goods are software controlled to only provide their standard performance if you pay for the "premium" package, otherwise they're set to "anemic". Like you said: You want the power, you pay for it.

Fortunately, reasonably priced "upgrades" will be available through your local dealer for all of them.

• Members

If the "product" was just the pile of metal and silicon that comes in the box, you might have a valid claim, but it's not is it?

In this case, both "products": the expensive model and the cheaper model, are the same. The only difference is the price.

I understand that the case of a lot of products out there. I accept that this is a common manufacturing/marketing model. And I still buy products in this framework. But it still sits awkward.

Archived