Slightly OT: He just does not get it

• Members

I ended up with one of those old Yamaha powered mixers somehow. Apart from size, it was actually surprisingly decent, better than some of the lower end new models. It had (optional) transformer balanced inputs, I wanna say 3 auxes, lots of routing for a powered mixer, and two 150w amps. Sounded passable, too.

I gave it to a school. That was probably about the right price.

• Members

What you're saying is that for free, it's still over priced?

(I tend to agree)

I put mine up on Craigslist for (I think) $20 or free to the right folks, like some kids learning the ropes. I had dozens of inquiries in the first couple hours, mostly dudes who probably respond to anything cheap enough. I took the ad down, sorted through them, and gave it to what ended up being an elementary school music program.

As I said, function wise, it wasn't that bad a powered mixer.

• Members

I see this all the time on CL. I feel 90% of the time people feel their junk is worth something on CL.

And 90% of the time the buyers seem to be expecting junk. I recently responded to a CL want ad... the poster was looking for a pair of doors from a 91 Geo Metro XFI (white being the preferred color). I happened to own a pair of white doors from a 91 Geo Metro XFI. I called the perspective buyer, told him what I had... I rated them as a "6" on a scale of 1 to 10 (straight, clean, fully complete, fully functional, everything in as it was from the factory, a few chips in the paint). He asked me how much? I told him $100 per door delivered within a 100 mile radius. He said he doubted my description was accurate, but offered me $125 for the pair. I said fine... and delivered them. Upon delivery he was shocked... visably shaken that not only were they what I described, but he'd have judged them as a 9+ out of 10... and paid me $200... and said he'd never had a CL deal work out this straight forward.

I can't imagine what some of the CL personal ads play out to be in reality? I think there's a song about this sort of thing? :facepalm:

• Members

I ended up with one of those old Yamaha powered mixers somehow. Apart from size, it was actually surprisingly decent, better than some of the lower end new models. It had (optional) transformer balanced inputs, I wanna say 3 auxes, lots of routing for a powered mixer, and two 150w amps. Sounded passable, too.

I gave it to a school. That was probably about the right price.

I had one of those too years ago when it was new. Or maybe a slightly earlier model, but looked pretty much exactly the same. Actually a very good mixer for the day. But yeah...I wouldn't actually expect anyone to PAY for one now.

Archived