Anyone in Sturgis for the rally?

• Members

I live in South Dakota and I'm not spending $400 a day to be out there. It's just so congested and in the worst spot, it's more of a pain in the ass. I'd rather drive to Minneapolis to see some of the live acts playing this year than go see them in Sturgis.

• Members

I'm doing sound at a club there downtown.

Right on! If you'd care to share pics, stories... lay um on us!

FWIW: Just wrapped-up a "too broke for Sturgis"... or "on the way to Sturgis"... or something like that festival.

http://www.moscowhogfest.org/

Good food, good entertainment, lots of scooters... and plenty of scenery that was easy on the eyes. Good times.

Best wishes to the folks in SD... wish I was there... maybe next year (been saying that for 15 years).

• Members

My drummer should be up there this weekend. Just look for the Harley. His is bound to be there someplace. (might be easier to find a needle in a haystack.)

He's been going every year since about 2004. (Just a days drive from Denver.)

• Members

A friend and his wife are there, rode out from SE PA. They're recent Harley converts who are literally riding the wheels off their bikes. He got the Fat Boy 2 years ago and has well over 30K miles on it. She got hers this year and I don't know what she's logged.

Riding the wheels off? :rolleyes:

That's barely a weekender... I ride as much as that in just short run commuting and market trips.

• CMS Author

Riding the wheels off?
:rolleyes:

That's barely a weekender... I ride as much as that in just short run commuting and market trips.

15,000 a year is more than average *car* mileage (12K is considered "standard" mileage for leases), and way above normal for bikes. Especially in the northeast, which is not a 12mo riding season by a long shot.

• Members

15,000 a year is more than average *car* mileage (12K is considered "standard" mileage for leases), and way above normal for bikes. Especially in the northeast, which is not a 12mo riding season by a long shot.

I put about 30K annually on my collective scooters... but then I look for any passable exchuse to ride. At 50+ mpg (on everything but the '96)... the more miles I ride, the more I'm saving, right?

• Members
  • Members

lol, yeah Mark... I apparently screwed up the photo link.

So here's try 2:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150265023781889&set=a.10150265023761889.317012.152899141888&type=1&ref=nf#!/media/set/?set=a.10150264216341889.316798.152899141888&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150265023781889&set=a.10150265023761889.317012.152899141888&type=1&ref=nf#!/media/set/?set=a.10150265023761889.317012.152899141888&type=1

Hope that works better

Now I remember you, we hung out in the green room talking about monitor mixers. Here's a {censored}ty pic of when I got up on stage with the AFD guys:

AFDME.jpg

• Members

My buddy Shane Pruitt is playing with the Marshall Tucker Band on Friday night. If you're there to catch their set, keep your eyes and ears peeled for a tall, skinny redheaded guy wailing on guitar. He's a hell of a player and apparently the MTB fellows have become fans of his work. Let him know what you thought of his performance. He's just about the nicest guy on the planet and deserves all the praise you can offer!

• Members

My poor drummer. Had a rear tire failure in route. Not just a flat, but the tire needed to be replaced. Cost him $300. (Wonder if that included towing the bike in.) Note that Harley's don't have center stands to lift the rear tire off the ground. If you bring in a wheel with a destroyed tire it shouldn't cost more than $200 to get a new tire and mount it. (Which is what I did when a tire started to fall apart on my trip in Knoxville Tenn. Handed them the wheel and they mounted a new tire to the rim.) In both cases we lost about 3 hours time. I remember putting a new tube in less than an hour, but my current bike runs tubeless tires. (And that doesn't work for disintegrating tires.)

• Members

A friend and his wife are there, rode out from SE PA. They're recent Harley converts who are literally riding the wheels off their bikes. He got the Fat Boy 2 years ago and has well over 30K miles on it. She got hers this year and I don't know what she's logged.

Its interesting how the ride and rider have changed over the years. One of my clients and his bud travel to Sturgis to ride there Harleys. He just last year bought a new Screaming Eagle. Had to call all over the West Coast to find one. Anyway, they tow them in a trailer from South California.

Yet as I grew up in the Black Hills just a long stone throw from Sturgis, nothing but radical gangs like the Hells Angels attended the ride. As a 10 year old kid (give or take some years), that was pretty scarey. Now that I think about I dont think I have ever been in Sturgis other than the hiway, back then it was pretty much the arm pit of the Hills.

• Members

A lot of people take their bikes by trailer and just ride the last 100 or so miles.

true story: my boss trailered his and his wifes bikes out there one time, forgetting that the EZPass transponders were on the bikes. Every time he went through a toll........triple charged. (g)

• Members

My poor drummer. Had a rear tire failure in route. Not just a flat, but the tire needed to be replaced. Cost him $300. (Wonder if that included towing the bike in.) Note that Harley's don't have center stands to lift the rear tire off the ground. If you bring in a wheel with a destroyed tire it shouldn't cost more than $200 to get a new tire and mount it. (Which is what I did when a tire started to fall apart on my trip in Knoxville Tenn. Handed them the wheel and they mounted a new tire to the rim.) In both cases we lost about 3 hours time. I remember putting a new tube in less than an hour, but my current bike runs tubeless tires. (And that doesn't work for disintegrating tires.)

300 bucks is about right for a dealer to slap a new meat on HD. Tires about 200 or a little more ,, the rest is labor.

• Members

Note that Harley's don't have center stands to lift the rear tire off the ground.

If it's a HD, I suspect the back of the bike would need to be raised more than what could result with a center stand... depending on the model of bike... because generally the rear tire has to clear the back of the back fender to remove the tire & wheel from the bike. The bottom of the rear fenders on my dressers are about 1ft. off the ground... the back tires are generally about 2ft. tall... so either the bike needs to be raised a little more than a foot off the ground, or remove the back fender to remove the back wheel. For years I did it with a forklift, but fortunately, now I have one of those air lift scooter platforms... drive the bike on, clamp the front wheel, raise the platform, jack the frame up just a scoach with a scissor jack, drop the back panel of the platform and remove the back tire & wheel.

I think most of the knuckles, pans, and maybe some of the early shovels (HD's from the mid-late '30 up till the late '60's) were equipped with rear fenders that had a hinged tail section to the fender to facilitate rear tire removal... but I think that good idea was discontinued possibly in the early AMF days.

BTW: One of the best deals I ever got on a rear tire for a HD was AT Sturgis... during ralley week a number of years ago. There was a vendor doing tires at Sturgis... I seem to recall I got a 16" Dunlop back tire, full service changed and balanced for about $100 innabout 10 minutes. As I recall, they even checked the wheel bearing side-play while the wheel was off the bike.

One retirement project I've been kicking around for years (if I ever am looking for something to do) would be to do paint sets to vend at Sturgis... spend the year doing paint sets, and then market the year's work at Sturgis.

Archived