They've added two new studios at Abbey Road

• Members

I would imagine they did this for a couple of reasons:

1) Most of us don`t need or can`t afford the huge rooms Abbey Road offers.

2) How many people will take advantage of this just to say part or all of their recording was made at Abbey Road?

3) the obvious reason, this is definitely going to bring in lots of $$$ for them

In a way, I can`t help but feel sad about this... even Abbey Road is feeling the strain of the affordable home recording revolution. Like it or not but its getting harder and harder for iconic rooms to bring in business when everyone and their mom has a laptop and calling themselves a producer...

In a way, I can`t help but feel sad about this... even Abbey Road is feeling the strain of the affordable home recording revolution. Like it or not but its getting harder and harder for iconic rooms to bring in business when everyone and their mom has a laptop and calling themselves a producer...

Yeah, it's sad to see so many classic studios shutting their doors. And that's one thing a "producer" with a laptop doesn't have - killer sounding acoustical spaces that don't suffer from outside noise interference. Then again, outside of vocals, many "producers" with a laptop aren't interested in recording with microphones anyway.

• Members

Yeah, it's sad to see so many classic studios shutting their doors. And that's one thing a "producer" with a laptop doesn't have - killer sounding acoustical spaces that don't suffer from outside noise interference. Then again, outside of vocals, many "producers" with a laptop aren't interested in recording with microphones anyway.

Listening to some of my favorite recordings and what intrigues me most about them is the space that was captured. Something modern music production is seriously lacking. Not only is compression killing all dynamics but when you`re compressing a close-miked source, there is no break from the constant "noise".

Going forward with my own productions, I`m conscious of leaving some space not only in the instrumentation and arrangements but also capturing that space between the mic and its source.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't wish any business to fold, but a couple of points:

* The home recording revolution has IMO really brought a lot more good music to the fore. Workers controlling the means of production is a thing, an important thing.

* Some great records were also made in studios that really aren't that romantic at all. The Spacemen 3's "Perfect Prescription" - which many consider not only a classic of creativity but also of a certain sonic aesthetic - was done in a couple of super non-special rooms in a building that featured cinderblock construction.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived