Ashly MX-508 effects send out of phase?

• Members

Trying really hard to like (dial in) my new-to-me MX-508; I've been gigging with it for a couple months - and not liking the sound.

Finally, in an acoustically small fairly dampened room this week, I tried a vocal with saturated reverb, and instead of huge rich rolling, I got what sounded very distant, with the 'main' audio removed - sort of sound...

Thought about it that night, and concluded... perhaps the effects send is out of phase. I'd been using a send to feed the reverb, and returning into the line in of one of the channels...

Last night, I hooked the reverb return into the effects return, and things seemed much better...

Am I on the right track?

Joe

• Members

It is possible that either the fx send, the return OR the effect device itself may be responsible for a phase inversion. Always use a 100% wet signal with your effects device and mix the wet return signal with the dry signal in the mixer.

• Members

The inserts on the Ashly are unbalanced. Are you using TS or TRS cables? I ask because some unbalanced jacks will only connect signal+ and the shield when a TRS connector is inserted. If the cable you are using has very high capacitance you will then get a very thin, phasey sound through it.

• Members

I have been very happy with my MX-508. I don't believe the sends are out of phase by design, and the build quality on these mixers is very good so I doubt something was wired wrong in production. What don't you like about the sound?

Two suggestions: First, spend some time at home or in your shop playing with your system until you have ruled out or confirmed what you think may be going on. I think it's more likely that a lower end effects unit reverses polarity, affects phase, or introduces lag than that the mixer has a problem. Second, if you still have questions, call or e-mail Ashly tech support. I wanted to make a circuit change on my channel cards and they were very helpful. I had another issue updating my Protea software and again they were fast and helpful.

Archived