Coupling subwoofers: RCF ART705AS subs

• Members

I have an all-RCF setup at the moment. My FOH is a pair of RCF ART705AS subs with a pair of RCF ART522A tops. My monitors are four RCF ART322A cabinets. Occasionally I'll use the 322A cabinets for FOH. Sound for the band is in mono but pre-recorded music during cocktails, dinner, breaks, or when I DJ is typically in stereo (assuming the room is right). I do not use an active external cross-over. Rather, I simply use the active cross-over built into the subs.

The subs are good but whether I use the 522A or the 322A cabinets for FOH, the tops seem to outrun the subs. I have a couple big DJ gigs on the horizon where I already know they'll want the music louder than I would normally play at a wedding. If I center cluster the subs to try to get a little more out of them but still run sound in stereo, will it do me any good? Other threads which have discussed center-clustering lead me to believe the sound is in mono, or there's an active external cross-over in the mix and the subs are driven by the summed mono output of the cross-over. I'm not sure if the sound out of the subs must be exactly the same or if slight differences will cause some problems or cause me not to achieve all I could by coupling them.

• Members

Most recorded music has the low bass centered anyways so no prob. I'd try center clustering them for sure. Just looking at the specs I'd guess that you'd need another pair of them subs to keep up with them tops. That pair of subs would probably keep up with my little RCF310A's but the 522A's and even the 322A's are quite a bit louder. My general rule of thumb is to have about 2x the power in subs vs tops unless the subs are highly efficient horn loaded cabs. For outdoors double that again :freak:. YMMV :) .

• Members

Yes - I go by that same rule of thumb: Subs must be at 2x the tops. Unfortunately, RCF stuff is friggin expensive and they discontinued the 705AS subs this year. I either have to buy another pair of something that no longer exists or get rid of mine and purchase four of the new model which I definitely don't want to do as I'm closing on my new home within the next couple of weeks.

• Members

Quadrupling is good if you really love that disco sound. I don't personally like overkill sub volume and run my tri-amp system flat. (That is EQ'd for a flat response.) Even then, you do need more power on the subs. Probably not quite double seeing that most efficient subs are running about 97 db splash and most efficient tops are running about 99 db splash. (and a true doubling of power is only a 3 db increase and a human perceived doubling of power is 10 db.) My hf horns are rated 110 db splash. (Only got a 75 watt/channel amp on them. Someone is bound to say that's not enough power. I started gigging with 100 watt PA systems. The 1100 watts I run with my tri-amp system seems like a lot to me. Indoors for vocal only I'm running a couple of EV SX-100s with less than 400 watts. Very clean, but not as efficient.)

• Members

Center clustering will help, but if it's a high SPL DJ gig nothing you do will save you with those subs. If your primary focus is bands and weddings you might consider renting. That would be the most economical way of doing it if these are infrequent gigs.

All my DJ gigs are in loud clubs and I wouldn't even think about going into any of these rooms with just a couple of 15" subs. I don't like being angrily yelled at all night, and I do like return engagements.

• Members

From what I hear the 522a's have some pretty decent bottom end to them. So I might set the crossover setting on the subs on the lowest setting. (90 or 80hz) I forget what those subs offer for settings.

I've never found my 522's to have a lot of low end and nothing close to "thud". That said, I leave my 705's at 80 Hz setting (they have 80-100-120). Frankly, I can't really tell the difference between the 3 most of the time. In theory I suppose it would take some of work off the subs.

• Members

Was that enough to scare away the dinosaurs that roamed the earth back then
:confused:

;):lol:

You should have seen those dinos!!!! Don't think I can gig forever, but I'm hoping to have another 20 years in me. Or have Mick Jagger quit before I do. (Les Paul was still gigging the week he died at 94)

• Members
You should have seen those dinos!!!! Don't think I can gig forever, but I'm hoping to have another 20 years in me. Or have Mick Jagger quit before I do. (Les Paul was still gigging the week he died at 94)

Heck, the reunion band I provided for last weekend broke up in 1967 I think and they still rocked it :cool: ! I ain't much behind you, the last dino carcass was still warm on the day I was born :freak:. I'd like to see some of these new bands with their 27 monitor mixes rock out a house with only a Shure Vocalmaster with two gassy tubes and a couple blown drivers :lol:.

Archived