Coated strings... is less better?

Chris Loeffler

• Members

I had the chance to review the new Elixir Optiweb strings for electric guitar, which are their just-released "barely there" coated strings that feel and sound like uncoated strings, but have the longevity benefits of being coated.

If you aren't a coated-string player, does this make the string more appealing?

If you are a coated-string player, does removing the feel and tone of Elixir strings make it less appealing?

• Members

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to use Elixers or ANY coated string. Other then the standard reply of "They dull the tone" I can't stand the feel of the coating, (I actually like the feeling of strings. Go figure.) I hate seeing the little tufts of coating on the worn part of the string move when I play, and feel the pat answer of "they help me not squeak when I play" is laziness to the nth degree. Don't want to squeak? LIFT your fingers properly!

So no, it wouldn't entice me to play them in the least.

• Members

Chris, I looked for your review and couldn't find it. How about a link?

My feeling about electric guitar strings is that I don't know enough to care one way or the other. I use a good quality non coated string on my electrics (with the exception of the jazz box which get flatwounds). I'm of the belief that on an electric guitar strings are so far down the list of "what affects the sound" that it really doesn't matter.

On the other hand, I think strings matter a lot on a acoustic and after a fairly scientific evaluation I have selected Elixer Nanos as my go to string. A few years ago I took four different acoustics and strung them with strings of two compositions but same gauge, manufacture, etc. I played all of these guitars using the same pick, recorder, mic, etc. Then I changed strings and did it again. I recorded them brand new and after two weeks of pretty hard play. The I put some heavy coated strings (Polyweb, same composition) on each of those guitars and did it again. Then some light coated (Nanoweb) and did it again. Also tried some round core and a couple of other things.

You might remember that I posted all of these clips on the acoustic forum. The clips were all the same and included a couple of big slides from 3 to 7 on the 5th string so we could hear any squeak. I posted the clips "blind" - they were numbered by guitar and string but nothing was identified. There was a lively discussion.......

Based on those clips (I listened to them double blind) I chose a compromise of sound, minimum string noise, life and price. That is the way I suggest anyone choose their strings - not from some review in some forum or magazine - strings are cheap, try different things until you find what YOU like.

I'll add one post script - I own a dozen acoustic guitars with all kinds of different tuning and needs for strings, however with only a few sets of Elixers I can cover everything from baritone 12 string to resonators to parlor. While I use different gauges, I only need to stock a couple of different sizes plus a few singles - sure makes inventory a lot easier.

The link is in the word "review" in the original post. Here it is again:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...guitar-strings

I've been using coated strings for quite a while now. I have pretty salty / caustic sweat, and I tend to kill non-coated strings pretty darned fast. I prefer the nanoweb Elixirs over the thicker-coated Polyweb Elixirs, so while I have not tried the Optiweb version yet (I do have a set, but I haven't put them on a guitar yet - but I will soon and will report back after I try them for a bit), I suspect I'll probably prefer them.

I like the idea of a coating that makes the strings last longer and reduces finger squeaks, but I don't like coatings that peel and flake off, dull the overall tone, and / or make it feel like you've got condoms over the strings...

Don't want to squeak? LIFT your fingers properly!

I've been a recording engineer for decades, and have been fortunate enough to work with many world-class guitarists.

They ALL squeak. Every last one of them. So no, I don't agree with your premise that it's just a matter of lifting your fingers properly. Squeaks are intrinsic to the instrument, and no matter who you are or how hard you try, or what methods you employ, you're going to get some finger squeaks. Things like coated strings, talcum powder, Finger Ease and technique may reduce their frequency, but you'll never eliminate them entirely. Even the most technically adept classical and jazz players will squeak occasionally.

• Members
The link is in the word "review" in the original post. Here it is again:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...guitar-strings

Thanks Phil, looked for it and didn't immediately see it. One important thing for a review would be the list and street price - as you know Elixers tend to be about three times the price of uncoated strings and it is important to compare the price/life ratio. Also, Chris says that they are not available in single and if you break one you have to buy a new set - I would assume that the unwound string are their normal ones and would be available as singles.

• Members
Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to use Elixers or ANY coated string. Other then the standard reply of "They dull the tone" I can't stand the feel of the coating, (I actually like the feeling of strings. Go figure.) I hate seeing the little tufts of coating on the worn part of the string move when I play, and feel the pat answer of "they help me not squeak when I play" is laziness to the nth degree. Don't want to squeak? LIFT your fingers properly!

So no, it wouldn't entice me to play them in the least.

Dude - your laziness comment is ridiculous. I get that you don't like their strings and the fact that you can get trace amounts of gore tex on your guitar.

Which of your electric guitars have you put them on? I've been alternating them with other high end strings on all 4 of my electrics for several years and don't understand your scorn.

Thanks Phil, looked for it and didn't immediately see it.

No problem! :) It was only a single word, so I can see how you could have missed it.

One important thing for a review would be the list and street price - as you know Elixers tend to be about three times the price of uncoated strings and it is important to compare the price/life ratio.

He didn't call it out as the "street price", but he did mention their price at the bottom of the review, and also included a link to where you can purchase them. They're $12.99 a set at Sweetwater... I suspect that price would be the same at GC or Musician's Friend and most other dealers.

Also, Chris says that they are not available in single and if you break one you have to buy a new set - I would assume that the unwound string are their normal ones and would be available as singles.

It certainly would be nice if they were available as singles just in case you break a high E string shortly after installing a set, but OTOH, I almost never break a string anymore unless they've been in use for quite a while - at which point it's time to replace them all. I hate having one new string and a bunch of worn ones.

• Members

Bet if you moved to Thailand you'd be using Elixirs. Strings rust and blow off here if you just look at them the wrong way. Heat, humidity, salt air and my nasty sweaty stubs of fingers pretty potent combination.

• Members

I live in a place with pretty consistant 70% humidity. I can put a set of brand new (regular) strings on a guitar and leave it untouched on a stand and within 2 weeks they will start to corrode.

I also have toxic sweat so that just kills them all the faster. And yes I wipe them down and yes I've tried all the wives tales cures like fast fret and wd40.....doesn't make a difference.

So yeah...I use coated. Elixer nano's and they are my favorite so far. Polyweb are too thick and the life span isn't really any longer. I easily get triple to 4 times the life of a regular set of strings using Nano's. It's well worth the price increase and even more importantly the time spent changing strings.

Nanoweb's do not flake or peel or "lose little bits" or whatever people think. I've played them for nearly 10 years straight and have never had a set do anything like that.

And yes they do something to the unwound strings to make them last longer than normal unwound strings. It might not be the same coating as on the wound strings but it is something and whatever they do is what makes them last 3x longer than regular strings. It's the unwound strings I care about. So don't believe anyone who tells you elixer unwound strings are the "same as any other brand". They are not.

Playing wise, yes they are NOT as nice as a fresh set of non coated strings. The polyweb are way duller (which is why I don't use them). The Nano's are very nice though. Still...not the same...but nothing is going to be perfect.

I've played Ernie Ball coated (a few years back) and they were total garbage. flaked and peeled and did all the terrible things you've heard about. I also tried some super high end european guitar strings on the recommendation of Ratea. The Thomastik Infelds. Those were pretty amazing. Not coated but much longer life than normal strings. Still not as long as Elixers though. And more pricey. So they didn't make the grade for what I need.

I'm very curious about these optiweb. if there is an even better option I'm all for it.

• Members

I'm not sure if florida can be compared to the local Thai climate. South East Asia is something quite special!!!! Seriously !

I remember coming out of the shower 1St thing into morning,, in well ventilated bathroom, but the time I had finished drying myself....... I'd be covered in sweat!!!!! The temperatures are bearable, but the incredibly high humidity and temperature makes it something quite special.

I've been in hotter places where the slightly less high humidity made it much easier to cope.

Archived