Behringer XAir XR18 mixer

• Members
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody! I just bought a Samsung Galaxy tab a 8. Question can I use this thing for the XR18 only without loading up an E-mail account or a phone no. so no one can call while in use running the XR18.?

If your connected to the XR18 with wifi you won't have internet access so you couldn't get anything like that.

Doug

• Members

Well the XR Air series router finally got me. I had been having good luck using the one on the mixer sometimes had latency but worked pretty good. Had a gig in DC when the final four was on and I guess half the city was streaming the game and I started having all kinds of problems. luckily I had dialed in a decent mix before this all started up. Needless to say a new dual band router is on the way and I installed a wifi analyzer app on my kindle so I can monitor it at the same time if I need to. Going to stick with the IPAD because it will go 8 hours plus on a charge.

• Members

On of the issues with this kind of device is that you probably need to carry a wired solution, which means some kind of computer that's enough "computer" to be able to take ethernet.

And that is even if you are using wifi... because it's just not reliable that you can be 100% sure that wifi is going to work.

Now, the "computer solution" really doesn't have to be anything more than an old laptop that just runs x-air-edit and never leaves the case/truck/whatever... I even added a small 5-port switch to my rack so I could have a wifi and and a wired connection if i want.

But I don't feel comfortable trying to operate this system without carting along a laptop _and_ my ipad.

That's not to say that this isn't a workable product ( I like it immensely for a lot of reasons), just that it does require some precautions.

• Members

Hey, Ron - you might want to try the Apple Airport Express if you're not happy with the new router. Assuming you have a Mac (I've never tried it on Windows), they are dead-bang easy to setup into bridge mode pinned at 5GHz, small, and reliable. I have deployed many of those.

My recommendation also is to make sure that the iPad only has one place to go - specific SSID at 5GHz - no secondary radio/router, no 2.4GHz option. As long as you're not shooting through walls, that will be your most reliable setup. See if your radio will also let you go to the DFS bands.

• Members

Luckenbacher - a more compact option for you might be to grab an Android tablet with a USB port, and a compatible USB->Ethernet adapter. Then you can fall back to wired without needing the laptop. Although.....the laptop offers some insurance against a busted iPad...

• Members
Luckenbacher - a more compact option for you might be to grab an Android tablet with a USB port' date=' and a compatible USB->Ethernet adapter. Then you can fall back to wired without needing the laptop. Although.....the laptop offers some insurance against a busted iPad...[/quote']

Well, I already had the "spare" MBP ( i'm a programmer by trade and don't like to be down if something happens to my main machine ). And I like the redundancy. But it is good to know (and news to me) that you can connect to ethernet via USB-> ethernet using andriod devices, so thanks for the tip.

• Members

Wifi is never a problem .... until it is ;)

With the wifi analizer and a dual band router, you should be able to find an open channel on 5Ghz with no problems.

You may also want to make your SSID undiscoverable to keep people from attempting to connect to it.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Regretting not getting X Air:

RCF M 18

Hi

I’ve been using the M18 for 6 months now every week (Monday night open mic and a few gigs on a galaxy tab running Android.)

Overall was a really nice rig, no more multicore and desk!!

The amp modelling is superb so no amps for us to lug around!!

Bass and guitars go straight in, if you have a sub on the main rig.

You’ll also need good monitors if you go this route.

A few problems I have come across are as follows:

Loss of control all input channels show full power (this was not coming out of pa!)

had to close app and reset.

Unable to control rig and adjust volumes and such on a gig ,

had to actually reboot the box on stage!!

Music player started to play two tracks together, unable to stop playback

had to reboot the box itself. ( as in, walk onstage and do this)

Compressor seems to add a clicking sound on bass guitars even at lower volumes with plenty off headroom.

It sounds to me like the signal is clipping hard but nothing is running hot.

Anyone know of a firmware update from this year?

Actually starting to regret not going with the X air 18 now, most of my berry gear is over 14 years old and still playing.

Cheers all

Bob

frsmith@gmail.com

Update RCF M-18 Monday 11th June 18

M 18 lost connection to the Galaxy in the show.

I mean the WiFi just disappears completely, I checked with my phone and no M 18 showing at all.

You have to wait for any act to finish then reboot the box, which takes about 3 mins for the WiFi to show up, you can then reconnect.

RCF sent me a PDF showing how to connect an external router!!

So you need to add this to the price and cart that around.

As it can be hard wired you may need to invest in a laptop/ chromebook again adding to the price.

So Far the RCF M-18 has lost connection live and in the studio usually after about 2 to 4 hours.

Will be returning it to PMT Saturday in Cardiff.

Bob

• Members

I would recommend either the X32 Rack (23 inputs, 8 outputs, expandable to 38 inputs, optional multi-track direct to SD recorder expansion) or the XR18 (18 inputs).

The Behringer mixers have lots of miles of experience under their belt now and are rock stable.

... crazy how things change eh?

• Members
I would recommend either the X32 Rack (23 inputs, 8 outputs, expandable to 38 inputs, optional multi-track direct to SD recorder expansion) or the XR18 (18 inputs).

The Behringer mixers have lots of miles of experience under their belt now and are rock stable.

... crazy how things change eh?

Sure is.. I was really gunshy about buying Behringer when I bought my X-Air. Within a couple of weeks, I couldn't live without it!