Adding to my system...Amps?

• Members

I'm currently running a small club system and I'm quickly outgrowing it. Here's what I have; 2ea. JBL SR4722x tops and 2 JBL sr4718x subs. I'm currently powering these with 2 QSC PLX3602's. I'm going to double up on everything. The 4722's are 8 ohm boxes and the 4718's are 4 ohms. So my loads are going to be 4ohms/ch for the tops and 2 ohms/ch for the subs. I'm just wondering if the 3602 has enough oomph! for the subs or should I be looking at something like a MA3600. I've heard that there's nothing like good old IRON & Monster filter caps for subs.

What say you?

• Members

While old iron is better than many modern lightweight amps for sub duty, there are other choices. For instance, Crown ITechs have plenty of oomph for subs. An MA3600 will draw a lot of current. My IT6000 with 4 LS1208s draws about 11 amps. The MA3600 will sound great but it can't touch the IT on power draw. It will cost more for an ITech, but you will find it easier to use in many situations because of power draw. YMMV.

• Members

Personally, I wouldn't run a 2ohm load on subs (or mains) I think you would be pushing your luck. I would power the subs with both of your 3602's and get a third one for the mains.

Agreed unless you are not pounding the crap out of your subs, in which case 2 ohms per side is not a problem.

Archived