Mastering Question

• Members

Hey Guys,

I have been in the production music business for quite some time. I usually polish my mixes by rendering the final mix to Wav then importing the Wav into my DAW and putting Ozone on the Master bus. There are many other people who just put Ozone on the master bus during the project and render the track to wav already 'finished".

Which method would be the correct one? I know this can be disputed.

I have a project coming up where I have to belt out a bunch of tracks and then provide all stems to the library. It would be easier to put a plugin on the master buss and belt out tracks but for some reason I thought the imported Wav approach was industry standard.

• Members
I think it's better to do it in two separate steps.

If you ever want your mix to be mastered again then the mastering engineer should have a "clean" mix to work with.

Onelife,

On that note, couldn't you just turn off the Master bus plugin? Then, your project mix would be clean and unprocessed.

• Members

That would work too. If your mix was automated then it would be easy to crank out a clean mix to use for the remastering process.

I prefer to separate the two processes because, for me, they require a different thought process. In fact, I prefer to get someone else to do the mastering for several reasons.

• Members

Very interesting article. I have a 10 year old version of Sonar. I don't know if some of those features are available.

Is there any disadvantage of keeping a "Mastering" plugin on the master bus and rendering my final project and different stems to Wav for production? IOW, as long as the CPU will handle it, would it sound the same as importing a Wav file of the finished project into a new Sonar session and running it through a plugin?

• Members

Yes, rendering a file with a plug-in will produce the same sound as opening the file and applying a plug-in. If you're working with individual tracks, sure, go ahead and throw processors in the bus if you want. But if the file will end up in an album or part of a collection, you'll probably regret "baking" the effects into the file, and will need to start over with the "raw" file.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived