well, im finally set up...

Voltan

• Members

this is just the meat... there is very little dressing in this close up... and sadly no, frer frailer, im down to two remaining drum kits, one has liek 13 drumzinnit... 13 or 14 guitars, one banjo is enough, ( but...) the obligatory uke, fiddle, woodwinds, ( sold my trombone and sousaphone long ago) my dad is a flute maker... dont ask how many, please... i liek frame drums... a lot. matter of fact, most world percussion stuff just plain trips my trigger...

eeb8a40c28aebc03b20a2be0f7ac5687.JPG.3c765abd7d41aea5872e98e0e7d6586d.JPG

• Members

dm? pics from inside teh tent show..

this is a 20' ( bit over 6 meters) in diameter, tensegrity designed dome that can be opened up to form a concert shell. one person can set up the shell and stake it down securely in under 30 minutes. add another 30 minutes if attaching the floor... ( i usually just stake down a 25x25 tarp for a ground cloth if it will be set up overnight.) gusts of wind destroyed several pop up canopies at the ren faire and they were properly tied down... my harem stayed snug and protected...

87e4dbe5b4a71fe038e2a0815bcb461b.thumb.JPG.b48a4c4003f11b3984d829d4a886e75d.JPG

52e6afb5229a5daf9e36e2a431d9605f.thumb.JPG.a844216c5b53a991ddb0f6c53404d0b8.JPG

45920809ecbadb1979e85d9ec2b02938.thumb.JPG.25ebb42dc447a00ead1a616d961eca13.JPG

d29d9b804f658fcbc6bb217e1f192bab.thumb.JPG.cafe8cdc1b12aeb565a7fdf77af6dda9.JPG

• Members
this is just the meat... there is very little dressing in this close up... and sadly no' date=' frer frailer, im down to two remaining drum kits, one has liek 13 drumzinnit... 13 or 14 guitars, one banjo is enough, ( but...) the obligatory uke, fiddle, woodwinds, ( sold my trombone and sousaphone long ago) my dad is a flute maker... dont ask how many, please... i liek frame drums... a lot. matter of fact, most world percussion stuff just plain trips my trigger...[/quote']

Hang me from the highest tree...

[video=youtube;0I2SjGZOqQg]

• Members

i purposely refused to watch videos of hang players when i first got mine... instead ive spent two years just getting familiar and exploring the instrument on my own... i cant discount previous exposure to other players as influential and the design lends itself toward currently applied styles... ive discovered i play better with it about chest high in a stand that allows freedom of movement and positioning better than sitting cross legged with the instrument in my lap... playing downwards on it.

• Members

from my understanding, a hang, a true hang is / was made onlyby PanArt... so, technically a hang is an idiophone made by the company panArt and all of the rest are " hand pans" ..." hang" means hand. it isnt a drum, its an idiophone by proper ckassification which includes the likes of cymbals and crotales... however, after reading carefully through the Hornbostel–Sachs scheme of classification, im not so sure i agree fully with placement of this instrument... from my understanding of the actual physics behind the sound prodution, it would more appropriately be considered a membranophone... having (multiple) tensioned metal membrane(s) stretched over a frame. anyhow, if youre interested, here is an excellent link with some video clios showing the difference between the beasts... i think instead it shiws how hard they are to actually tell apart, but there are some tonal flavorings, i think...

frailer, mine was made in bali so technically it is a bali handpan according to the purists... some are nitrided, mine is painted... painted are much harder to get friction tones as its slippery er er errrrr.... and about $8000.00 less than an original panart on evilbay right now... the cheapest 1st gen panart ive seen for a spell too...

• Members

I used to run this local small bar coffee house circuit . One of the guys in another group that did the same thing in the summer played a steel drum. He was very good at it. His buddy played the guitar and they both sang. It was like a taste of the Caribbean right here in the Berkshires. In the winter time they would play cruise ships.

[video=youtube;GaNjXwElAUE]

Archived