10 Years Gone

Glenn F

• Members

Jeez, how the time goes, eh?

Through all the various incarnations of this place, its ups (when I first got here, it was very active) to its nadir(s) of which there have been many. I've learned a lot about acoustic guitars, and am very grateful for those who have shared their knowledge. I have loved watching Freeman construct his guitars, and admire his ability and knowledge. The advice I have received here has helped me sidestep a few purchasing mistakes, and I am also grateful for that.

The other side of the coin is that this forum unleashed a heretofore unknown (at least since adolescence) lust in my heart to acquire lots of guitars. It would take a good while for me to write down all of the guitars that have passed through my hands in the last 10 years, and I am sure that I'd forget a couple. This place kind of 'normalized' the concept of 'never too many guitars' for me, and being a bit of an OCD loon, I embraced this lunacy. It took 10 years to get out of my system, and even now, though I know in my heart that the probability of another NGD is remote at best, I have to be careful, lol. Certainly, the responsibility rests with me, but when you see such pulchritudinous beauties always on display, well, you know....

So, again, my gratitude for those who take the time to share their knowledge and experience. There are certain people who were here at the big-inning whom I miss, but Ob La Di, Ob La Da, Life goes on.

I hope we are all still around to talk and play guitars 10 years from now!

Alles Gute,

Glenn

• Like 4

• Members

IIRC I'm coming up on 14. It was a much different place back then when Doug Jones (LittleBrother) was the moderator and there were a LOT more fingerpickers lounging about. 2007 was when I became truly spoiled however. I would say something irreverent about how you all are enablers but I still have that guitar you all sent and it is one of my most prized possessions. May the lights stay on here for many years to come. #HCAG4ever

• Members

"...this forum unleashed a heretofore unknown (at least since adolescence) lust in my heart to acquire lots of guitars. It would take a good while for me to write down all of the guitars that have passed through my hands in the last 10 years, and I am sure that I'd forget a couple. This place kind of 'normalized' the concept of 'never too many guitars' for me, and being a bit of an OCD loon, I embraced this lunacy. It took 10 years to get out of my system...."

Alles Gute,

Glenn

It hasn't had that effect on me. I've known I had too many guitars - especially steel-string acoustic guitars. That's why I've been throwing away my money on other gear lately.

Bonne Chance

Edited by Etienne Rambert

• Members

Well, you see, I spent a lot of my life with 1 'ok' acoustic and 1 'ok' electric. I was a professional student for over 10 years, so money was tight. Then, afterwards, it was work, life, and other things. 10 years ago, I decided that I wasn't getting any younger, and there was no point of waiting until I was old and arthritic, or worse, dead. I've had serious health issues over the last 10+ years, and I thought 'if not now, when?' So, as I said, this place normalizes the concept of 'lots of guitars is a good thing.' There is a lot of psychology at play, for example, having to give up being in bands because of school and not having the money to be properly equipped. So, some sense of being deprived on that level came into play. Oh, and the fact I didn't get that pony when I was a kid.

Edited by Glenn F

• Members

Ooooo, story time and romantic reminiscences. Count me in.

I can accurately place my discovery of this place in December, 2004. I had just emerged from a 29 year hiatus from playing and stumbled here while looking online for a guitar, not having one at the time. Anyway, after some reticence about being a member here I joined. I don't recall the moniker I used at the time. After that, and through others that suffered subsequent forum-sponsored genocide(s), here I am. Heartwarming, no?

Regarding the guitars I went through, none of them were prompted by forum-speak. As my skills rapidly returned I ramped up the search and ultimately arrived at a point where money wasn't going to get me what my own hands alone could bring. So, I reversed the order of things to close the loop back to 2004 regarding cost/quality and here I will remain, cheaply steeped and totally uncoated.

Otherwise, 13 years of being a pest (whenever time and opportunity allowed) has been my MO here. No need to thank me. You all deserve nothing but the best. And, where's Paisley when you need him?

• Members

I discovered this place when I was researching an audio interface for my Mac, as I'd just made the switch to Logic from a Roland multitracker. A google search came up with one of Craig Anderton's pro reviews, and, from what I read, the interface in question was a disaster, and I saved a few hundred and shattered nerves by avoiding it. So, from the very beginning, this place helped me in that regard.

As for the guitars... Well, I think the highest number I had at one point was 27-28, and our flat ain't huge. It got very oppressive. I am down to 19 now (lol) with one acoustic on the block, and I am considering selling 2 of my electrics. I just pulled out my old Ibanez electric, bought in April 1981, just a few months after I got off the street. It has been seriously neglected with my purchases of newer 'better' guitars, and I felt a little guilty. This guitar (an Ibanez ST-50) has a lot of mojo in it, and a lot of memories. Almost all of the recordings I did with my late best friend, from 1981 to 2004, were done with the Ibanez. It just feels right in my hands, and still plays and sounds great. I paid $237 CAD for it in '81. Still have the bill. So, I am thinking that I can sell a couple of my electrics that I haven't played for a few years. Who knows? I may end up reducing even further, though my wife, also a musician, loves my acoustics (as do I).

Edited by Glenn F

• Members

I would agree with you on the enabling part, especially in the 'old days.' It's sad there is no sense of community here now that would enable the capers. I imagine you'll always have a warm feeling towards that guitar and the people who arranged for you to receive it.

• Members

Let's see. I joined in October, 2006. I wanted to replace the nut on my Ibanez. I asked which of the following would be preferable: TUSQ, brass, graphite. At least half the respondents said "bone." I should have known what I was getting into. FWIW, I eventually replaced the stock nut with TUSQ, which worked fine.

:philpalm:

• Like 1

• Members

Olga! I didn't know this site was connected to that. I learned 'Blackbird' properly from Olga, and then it started running into copyright hassles. When Youtube came out, I predicted it would become the 'new' Olga, and it has in large part. 2001. Very strange year for me, and for the world, I guess.