Gee I'm wound up ... or not

steve mac

• Members

Anyone using a wound G on an electric for the purpose of improved tone? If so what was your experience of playability especially bends? Was the perceived sound better?

I gig with a hollow body and 90% is strumming or picking, so any improvement in tone is good, but a few lead lines are thrown in over a looper. I guess I could relearn to avoid G strung bending or maybe just "man up".

To try myself I would have to order the strings and have them delivered, then I guess there is intonation and other set up issues, so any advice from lovers or haters of the wound G would be most welcome.

• Members

I had an epiphone dot that I used 12s on with wound third. Liked it just fine and loved the tone I got, but I didn't bend much -- too hard. Now I use a tele with 11s and plain third and am perfectly happy with the tone and bending too.

• Moderators

I do the wound G on my semihollows, like the 135, but because of that, it only comes out for the 'jazzier' gigs. when I was younger [ten years or so ago] I used to have a wound G on the Alley Kat, 135, the reso and the KC Custom, but at my advanced age, just the thought of bending a .022w G string up a whole tone makes my fingers ache...just thinking about it, not even doing it.

It is bad enough to deal with on my 5 acoustics, for crying out loud, without tormenting myself on my electrics...'tone' be damned, I need to get through the gig. :wave:

and yes, there are set-up issues, like opening the nut slot. To be perfectly frank, it just is not worth it. Your audience won't know the difference, mate, but you will at the end of the night.

• Members

At least for me, I had romanticized the notion of using a wound G. Visions of Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall danced through my head. However, the reality didn't compare to the dream. I suppose if I made a full commitment to using a wound G by getting the perfect gauge, set-up and all that, then maybe I would feel differently, but my experiences led me back to unwound. Aside from all the "feel" issues, it's just one more string to sound dead faster. Having said all that, I still think a wound G is cool - just not for me.

Archived