powered vs unpowered

• Members

i'm getting confused with the terms active, passive, powered, unpowered sound reinforcement and the situations they are used in. there are powered and unpowered mixers, powered and unpowered speaker systems, and separate stand alone amps...

can someone describe the various setups you can use, advantages disadvantages, and the type of situation they'd be used in.

for example will these work?

mic -> unpowered mixer -> PA

mic -> powered mixer -> unpowered speaker

• Members

Powered mixers are typically used by "acoustic" acts in intimate settings and usually combine a "mixer", a "power amp", an "effects processor" and an "equalizer" (eq) in one easy to setup and use unit. You connect microphones and/or instruments into it and connect 1 or more (usually 2) "passive" (unpowered) speakers out of it. They are also frequently used by bands playing in small venues that typically only use the PA for vocals and perhaps an acoustic guitar and/or kick drum. Today's powered mixers usually have 2 power amps built in and may support a stereo mix, but are usually used in a main/monitor mode (1 amp drives the speakers facing the crowd, referred to as "mains" or "FOH" (front of house)), and the other drives the monitor speakers (usually wedges on the floor facing the band so they can hear themselves sing).

A more professional setup used to and often still involves mostly separate components for all things, with the semi-pro level often employing "passive mixers" (no amp built in), but perhaps having the effects built in to the mixer.

The emerging trend is to have the amps built into the speakers themselves, much like guitar combo amps that have been popular since the 1940s. A passive mixer is used with these and it eliminates the need for separate amplifiers. In addition, some of the equalization occurring in a typical traditional system is compensating for irregularities in the speakers themselves. With the powered speakers, this additional equalization is not usually necessary, and unless a room is particularly problematic, some folks are using powered speakers with no eqs at all.

• Members

You are going to get A LOT of opinions about the advantages and disadvantages of each (powered v. passive mixer, powered v. passive speakers). I suggest that it all depends on your needs, preferences, and perhaps other factors.

A powered mixer has an amplifier built into and and can go into passive speakers (no amp in speaker cabinet)

A passive mixer (no amp) can be used with powered speakers (amps in the speaker cabinets)

You can use an passive mixer and a separate amp and then go into passive speakers

PA is just a general term for public address system - it usually refers to the whole sound system

Your second scenario, mic -> powered mixer -> unpowered speaker, will work

There is more to in that this, but I hope this at least provides you with the basics.

• Members

When talking about speakers, active = powered and passive = unpowered.

With mixers, the term "mixer" usually refers to an unpowered mixing console which may or may not include an eq and effects, while a "powered mixer" will nearly always have all the components I mentioned above.

• Members

Just remember that exactly one point in your chain needs to be powered. If you have a powered mixer, you don't need a power amplifier or powered speakers. If you have powered speakers, you don't need a powered mixer or a power amplifier. If you have a power amplifier, you don't need a powered mixer or powered speakers. One powered device, the rest unpowered.

Generally, the "trend" that I see comes up as:

Lowest level: Powered mixer, no power amps, passive speakers. Typically acoustic acts or starter bands. Brands may include Kustom, Peavey, Behringer, Phonic, etc. This is the most portable option, but will limit your overall volume levels.

Bar-band level for bands on a stricter budget, or using older equipment: Passive mixer, power amps, passive speakers. Typical live band or DJ setup. Brands may include Yorkville, Peavey, Harbinger, Yamaha, etc. This setup goes louder and provides easy upgradability, at the expense of weight -- you'll need to haul an amp rack around.

Bar-band level for bands with a larger budget, or upgrading to a newer rig: Passive mixer, no power amps, powered speakers. Typical higher-tier band or DJ setup. Brands may include EV, JBL, QSC, etc. This setup generally will be more expensive to upgrade (since you're buying speakers and amps), but will require no customization/etc.

Upper level: Passive mixer, power amps, passive speakers. Typical larger-scale sound reinforcement rig. Brands may include JBL, EAW, older Meyer, etc.

Top level: Passive mixer, no power amps, active speakers. Typical high-end touring/array rigs. Brands may include Meyer, L'Acoustics, KS, K-Array, etc.

Not saying that this list is definitive or anything, but in general, it's a valid assumption.

• Members

i'm getting confused with the terms active, passive, powered, unpowered sound reinforcement and the situations they are used in. there are powered and unpowered mixers, powered and unpowered speaker systems, and separate stand alone amps...

can someone describe the various setups you can use, advantages disadvantages, and the type of situation they'd be used in.

for example will these work?

mic -> unpowered mixer -> PA

mic -> powered mixer -> unpowered speaker

So.... why are you asking? Are you thinking about a PA purchase, or just kicking the tires?

There's no right or wrong system, unless it's poor quality. I know someone that has a powered mixer and two small 8" speakers - he's been using that for years, maybe decades. Others might outgrow his system within weeks.

I use a powered mixer (Yorkville PM16 about $2500+) when I do on stage sound with my trio. I also use a powered mixer (Yorkville M8 $250.00 used) when I do my single.

For other projects I've got my MixWiz and power amps. All of my gigs are essentially weekend warrior stuff, even when it's good pay.

I prefer unpowered speakers but many if not most prefer active (powered). Powered speakers are processed and optimized and generally harder to screw up, or blow up.

Archived