Bose L1 vs Conventional PA for Acoustic Solo/Duos

stratmansblues

• Members

I am a singing guitarist that is struggling with live sound. I have used the Bose L1 systems (model 2, compact) in the past, but in a few venues I had a hard time hearing myself over a loud crowd. I play mostly in restaurants and bars.

I am currently using a pair of QSC K10 powered speakers and an Allen & Heath Zed10fx. I haven't really been in love with this setup since I got it. I usually bring one speaker out to gigs and it set up offset behind me on a stand. I've been considering putting the speaker in front of me and setting up a monitor to improve my monitoring and FOH volume. I feel like I am already bringing too much gear to shows where I have to set up in a corner.

I have been reading about the various line array type systems on the market lately and keep coming back to the Bose. Also I live in between Knoxville and Nashville and it seems like every acoustic group is using a Bose setup. Looking for advice to help me decide if I should expand my current setup or sell it and buy another Bose.

• Moderators

Although I am no a fan of Bose, I do agree that a line array is the best solution for a singer/guitarist. If you're not using backing tracks, may I suggest looking into the Fishman A330 [the new 'Fish-stick'], or a used one? I have been using the SA 220 for a number of years for solo work, and for the price, ease of set-up/transport and features, I think it is great bang for the buck compared to the Bose Compact. I will admit that I add a near-field powered monitor to my setup if I expect the room to be noisy [i don't like being blasted from behind]. There is a myraid of new arrays available, but most are cumbersome and have a subwoofer unit...which if you don't use tracks, you won't miss. The main drawback to the SA220/330 is the footprint of the tripod stand, but that is a small compromise.

• Members

Check out HK systems. I've got a Lucas Nano 300 that I use for smaller places. Really dig it. Light and easy with a great sound. I also have a couple of 1000w Behringher 12" powered speakers that I use. Small, light BIG sounding. Both ways run through a TC Helicon Acoustic Play pedal, which acts as my fx/mixer. It's the smallest set-up I could find for doing solo acoustic with no tracks. People seem to enjoy the sound of it.

I also keep a battery powered Fender Passport Mini around for Farmer's Market busking. Not the loudest thing out there, but it does well if you can get in an area that people congregate.... like waiting for orders outside a food truck. It's paid for itself a few times over. Sure, there are much louder battery powered options, but that's another thread.

All of these pay my bills, so they are gently treated. They've did very well last season playing beachside gigs in Florida. Conditions here can be trying for electronics.

My favorite of the lot is the HK system. Shortly after I got this system, they came out with a 600w version of the same thing. I fully expect the Behringher's to die off sooner than later (inexpensive). When they do, I'll likely get another Lucas Nano 300, and run the pair of them together. They tie together so that you can use one unit to control both, in stereo. Cleverly designed and sound great. I've gotten compliments for other musicians who run Bose systems on how good they sound. The HK Lucas Nano 300 is comparable to the Bose compact system. I suspect the Lucas Nano 600 will be comparable to Bose's larger systems.

The main downside for those in the states is they are hard to find. I took a blind leap of faith and bought my system. Glad I did, but it could have gone wrong, were it not such a good piece of gear.

• Members

I am currently using a pair of QSC K10 powered speakers and an Allen & Heath Zed10fx. ... I usually bring one speaker out to gigs and it set up offset behind me on a stand. I've been considering putting the speaker in front of me and setting up a monitor to improve my monitoring and FOH volume. I feel like I am already bringing too much gear to shows where I have to set up in a corner.

Might be easy to test the monitor idea... and depending on your venues, two K10s might not be necessary anyway, as you've already worked out.

In your practice space, set up one K10 as if for FOH, set up the other as a monitor... adjust levels for each on the ZED thing appropriately... and then see if it floats your boat. If it shows promise there, try your next gig that way. Outcome of that experiment might help you decide how best to proceed...

I suspect in some cases, and maybe depending venues and also on a musician's own hearing, some may still find a monitor useful, even with a line array like the Bose system.

Anyway, there's a lot of good to be said sometimes about reducing equipment, load-in/load-out time, weight of the schlepping chores, set-up/sound check/tear-down time, etc.

-D44

• Moderators

The other downside is that they don't include the pole for the satellite speaker...that costs over a hundred bux, but I suppose you could use a mic stand.

The 600 is available at a number of mail order houses, I have not seen one in a brick and mortar. They are running ~$1200, plus another ~$200 for the roller bag to transport it.

• Members

I see a couple of duos and one trio out here with backing tracks using the Bose array (with subwoofers)..

I think my Carvin PM15As with 15" woofers sound better at the bottom end and in the midrange area. One of the duos has double subwoofers on his Bose to try to correct that problem.

Plus, with the Carvins, having two powered speakers gives me the redundancy so that if one amp or speaker decides to quit, the gig can be finished with the other speaker.

Plus, I've heard the Bose system is very difficult to get repaired if it should break. I've read some horror stories on-line - but then you always read horror stories on line so I take them with a grain of salt. It might be worth investigating if you decide to go that route.

But every situation and every gig area is different. Do you need smooth and deep bass? If so I wouldn't go Bose. Do you need redundancy?

On the other hand, the Carvins are 32 pounds each and bulkier than the Bose.

Notes

• Members

been using the L1 / B2 / tone match system for a couple years now. I love it, and it sounds fantastic. small footprint on stage. ease of portability and I always get compliments on the sound. when I first got it I wasn't real impressed with it set up in my studio. it sounded OK but the first time I took it out and it could unload I and every one there was blown away. Ive even used it with a 4 piece and it did fine. two systems would have been better. _ used to drag a trailer full of equipment, now it all fits in the back of my Jeep. it doesn't sound much like a PA. its just clear natural balanced sound. nothing is hyped and nothing is missing, no EQ's no compressors, no monitors, no racks, no hassle

• Members

I tried a Bose L1 a couple of years ago. Sounded pretty good for one speaker/sub, but I got a better sound with two EV SXA 100+ speakers pole mounted. Now days I'm doing a lot of gigs that require a fast setup so I'm using just one Yamaha DBR12. Thinking about getting a DBR10 as they are lighter weight and still have pretty good bass response for a 10" speaker. I have the option of using two DBRs for some gigs.

I've heard good things about the K10s for years. The deep mode is good for bass from reviews I've seen.

• Members

My take... On two different gigs that I play several times a year, I have had the occasion to use the Bose L1 Compact system and also a speaker by Yorkville called the PS10P http://http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/paraline_parasource/product/ps10p/

The PS10P is one of my favourite "entry level" speakers and I prefer it over most of the major manufacturer's speakers. I'm not saying it's better, just saying I prefer it.

When I used the L1 Compact on those jobs it sounded fine, but the PS10P sounded noticeably better. However, the PS10P has to be stand mounted (in those gigs) and thus it is top heavy and quite visible. The bass is coming from on high, adding to the perceived volume, and sadly it's not a Bose. No brand recognition amongst the venue managers or patrons. I can't count the times that people who don't know anything about music will comment on the Bose system. It's true that those extra sizzling highs and line array effect help contribute to the illusion (or reality) of quality sound, but the name sure doesn't hurt either. Much like years ago, when if you showed up with a JBL system you instantly impressed, the Bose is now the new standard for solos and duos in small venues.

So, if you want the best sound and flexibility, go with a suitable speaker from folks like; JBL, QSC, EV, Yamaha, Yorkville and so on. Pick up a small format mixer from Allen & Heath, Yamaha, or Soundcraft and you are done. If you want managers to notice you and people to comment on your sound, then you might consider a Bose system. I am currently using the L1 Compact because of the way it is crossed over and configured. I much prefer it to the more expensive Bose systems.

• Members

I own a a bose and like it, but i play 3times a week @ bahama breeze and they have 2 EVzlx12p speakers on stands as well as QSC speakers in stalled throughout the house, so my rig consists of guitar, small rolling bag and a yamaha dbr10 for monitor and guitar amp.

this rig may not sound as good as the full bose or better powered speakers but I'm old and one trip to the car and light stuff trumps bad back.

I still use the Tonematch Mixer mounted on my mic stand cause its the smallest footprint i've found, and while pricey i'd buy another one cause this one has about 850 gigs and still going. i've tried the tablet mixer mounted on my mic stand but i prefer tactile knobs during the heat of the gig.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just recently bought a Turbosound iP1000, I am very impressed with this speaker. I have a friend who uses a Bose L1 Compact, in my opinion this sounds a lot better. The bass unit contains 2, 8" long throw woofers, it has very good tight bass. The column has 8 x 2.75" neodymium drivers. The unit is 1000 watts and can get very loud if you want it. And at $699 its quite a bit cheaper than the Bose. I would highly recommend this unit. It also functions as a bluetooth speaker, so if you are using tracks its one less track on your mixer. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IP1000

• Moderators

there are so many good new units on the market now that compete in the tower and sub category that even Bose has begun to lower their L1C price to stay in the game. Plus they released their new F1 modular system [which is designed, IMHO more for bands than for solo/duo use]. Most of the 'newcomers' to the array system biz are smart enough to build in a mixer and some DSP fx, and give you plenty of power. I was actually surprised when the new FishStick came out and it didn't sport a hefty increase in class D wattage, only a ~50% increase, whereas many of the newcomers are running 600-1000w, but they expanded the mixer set up as an option, which, frankly, seemed unnecessary.

• Members

I have and idea, and you might like. Let's just say the Bose L1 is good for what you want to do for your shows.

This ain't the cheapest way out, so I hope you're sittin down.

How about a in ear monitor system. I'm not sure which one is a good one, but that could work very nicely.

Looks like the L1 has 2 RCA outs and you could probably put an RCA to 1/4" adapter on the line outs and go into the wireless monitor.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P3TR112GR-G20

I'm sure the guys at Sweeetwater, the GC , MF, or where ever you love to shop for gear could hook you up.

Just an idea.

• Members

I only know one musician that uses in-ears on non soundtech gigs. All the other folks, bought the in-ears and then stopped using them.

The fella that did use them would show up very early to the gig. He would set up two pencil condensers on stage to pick up the band, set his mixer up, set the in-ear system up. Then he would have to check it all and get it just right. Why bother comes to mind.

IMHO even if a solo performer gets their in-ears just right, how will they know what the audience is hearing. Will they wear just one? The beauty of a solo act is that it's a simple and scaled back concept. Using in-ears would complicate the process - that's my take, YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived