New Banjo Coming

bigald18

I haven't tried the Goodtime with the resonator, but I keep thinking about buying the add-on resonator for my Goodtime banjo.

Deering makes very good banjos, and IMHO that's an excellent choice for your first banjo. Congrats, and enjoy!

PS Side note: If you like to play slide guitar, one advantage of learning banjo is that many of the chord shapes you'll learn will also be useful if you play guitar in an open-G tuning. :idea::wave:

• Members

Hey Phil. Not my first banjo. Had a Morgan Monroe that I never had time to learn on. mWas their Cascase banjo which was really good. Sold that a few yrs ago. Now being alone I have all the time in the world so I got banjo again. Having fun learning.

• Members
Bit the bullet this week and ordered a DeeringGoodtime Resonator banjo from a dealer. Just got some movement back in my fingers to play guitar so I figgered I'd really torment myself and learn to play banjo. Arrives on Tuesday on the brown truck.

Nice, but which Goodtime Banjo? They make a whole series of Goodtime banjos. Solid company, since Gibson banjos are no longer.

The banjo will help you out with you guitar chicken pickin too, if that's your thing.

• Members

Got Goodtime 2 Resonator. Brown truck dropped it off today. Seems pretty good. Mellow and loud with lots of sustain. Great highs. OK lows. Gotta get used to this neck. Keep trying to finger first fret behing nut. LOL Kinda doesn't work that way. LOL Played fingerpickin guitar for over 50 years.

• Members

Actually, I sent the Goodtime 2 back. I have hearing problems and the maple rim with maple resonator was killing my ears. It's funny cause I have a cheapy banjo with mahogany resonator and that's fine. Got the Deering Artisan Openback in exchange for the Goodtime 2, adjusted the head, the action, etc. and it plays fantastically well and doesn't hurt my ears. Not a volume thing, but the crack of the maple that hurt. also replaced the bridge on the Artisan with a Sullivan Roasted Maple Factory Floor bridge. What a great sound difference that made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Also ordered and received a Gold Tone BG150F bluegrass banjo with mahogany resonator. Hate to say it, but it puts the Deering Goodtime Artisan to shame as far as tone ands parts quality goes. I know it's apples to oranges, but the Goodtime line to me symbolizes cheap parts. I was especially annoyed that the Artisan, which is a more expensive Goodtime came to me not set up. Action was way too low, neck was rotated in it's axis, head was out of tune, etc. The Gold Tone arrived in perfect playable condition. All I had to do was tune the strings. To me, Deering talks themselves up a lot, but gives you very little for your money at a price point.

Archived