How room acoustics effect your drum sound:

twosticks

This is a tremendously educational video. I learned things I didn't know especially about direct versus reflective being destructive to each other.

Thanks for sharing.

D

Direct and reflected sound can not only cancel, it can also reinforce. In fact, both typically happen in different locations in most rooms.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Man, this is great stuff.

Craig Anderton was telling me about a guy who reached out to him about his studio monitors. He said one had too much bass response and the other was just right. Through several e-mail exchanges, he finally had the guy send him pictures. The one with too much bass response was tucked in a corner and the other one that sounded correct was sitting in the middle of the console (room). All the guy had to do was shift position of that tucked away speaker and it solved the entire problem. I am saying this because drum position can have similar affects on the sound off your drums.

I use two floor toms, and the sound guy was saying, hey, that second floor tom doesn't resonate like the first one. Through some trial and error, moving it slightly away from me and out from being directly behind the front floor time ... took care of the challenge.

Position matters.

D

Archived