Irene survivor's role call.

• Members

If you've survived check in please so's we know you're OK. Just noticed that BillESC and CraigV hasn't posted here since yesterday :-( .

Where I'm at is supposed to get it starting at midnight. I border a major industrial park that has a state DPW yard in it so usually get taken care of fairly quickly. In the winter the plows have to pass by my house to get to the highway so I get plowed out every 15 minutes or so :) .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The eye passed about 20mi from my place. We're doing fine -- the storm was a lot less intense than forecast initially -- but tonight, within the last hour or so, we're getting winds (after it has passed) in excess of what we got when it was passing by us. Apparently her ass is stronger than her front.

75% of Dominion VA Power customers are without power at this point so I would expect you won't hear from some regulars for a while in this area.

• CMS Author

So far so good. The only casualty was an outdoor clock we forgot to take down, and somehow it stayed on the wall but the glass and trim blew off and broke.

And we're seeing the same phenomenon of the tail of the storm packing the big winds. It rained like a waterfall last night, but the winds weren't nearly as bad as they've been today. It's still gusty, and still raining a little.

A lot of the low spots near the schuylkill river are getting badly flooded. That's a densely populated area that gets flooded constantly, and this could become record-setting.

• Members

I've had two 5 second power outages so far but I know towns south of me are out. Poor Jeff Grocki had to dig out the generator to make his morning coffee
:eek:
. I was smart enough to put mine on the porch which insures I'll not need it
:lol:

So I am still kicking huge trees and poles down. No power since 6:00 am or so. Thank god for my trusty iPhone lol I am pretty unscathed neighbor has a big tree in the backyard think swingset took the brunt but house appears ok. Did a wedding in new London last night literally looking at long island sound and at about 11:00 we shut it down Irene was pissed!!!

• Members

So I am still kicking huge trees and poles down. No power since 6:00 am or so. Thank god for my trusty iPhone lol I am pretty unscathed neighbor has a big tree in the backyard think swingset took the brunt but house appears ok. Did a wedding in new London last night literally looking at long island sound and at about 11:00 we shut it down Irene was pissed!!!

port and starboard?

Anyways, New London for the most part is pretty unscathed. There was some small water and power issues, but I just did a fair amount of walking around in the 5th and 6th wards and everyone and thing seems alright for the most part.

• Members

port and starboard?

Anyways, New London for the most part is pretty unscathed. There was some small water and power issues, but I just did a fair amount of walking around in the 5th and 6th wards and everyone and thing seems alright for the most part.

Port & Starboard in deed. Small wedding in the pilot house.

• Members

A lot of the low spots near the schuylkill river are getting badly flooded. That's a densely populated area that gets flooded constantly, and this could become record-setting.

I guess FEMA has different rules for different areas? Around these parts... as I understand it, you can't gravel a driveway in a flood plane without a no-rise (FEMA mandated) certificate properly filed with the local courthouse... much less have some populace... actually living (gasp) in a flood plane... unless of-course they're living in a FEMA described flood plane, but it hasn't flooded where they live for 100+ years, and that's why somebody's living there... but never-mind that the facts don't comform to the theory... we gotta go by computer models don't you know? (even though we

• Members

We are OK. Lost power on Saturday and won't get it back for several days according to the power company. I have a generator, water, and more food than the grocery store right now so will get by. If I didn't have to be at work I couldn't post this because we also lost cable, but at work we have our own power grid, substations, and good internet connections (thank you NASA.) Anyone have any idea what Weston CT looks like today? We have family there and can't get through to them via cell phone, telephone, or internet. I expect them to be without power or cable but wondering how bad the damage there is. We have been through many of the hurricanes before, but the family there has never seen one. Can't be good.

• Members
We are OK.

:):D:cool:

Anyone have any idea what Weston CT looks like today?

I'm well away from there but that is the area that got the highest winds so no power or cell service for a few days - almost a million homes lost power in the state. I'm told that texting is more likely to go through than voice. Looks like they are far enough away from the ocean and rivers that flooding shouldn't be a problem. Aside from downed lines, a few trees down, and a few houses beachfront demolished we did OK in this state. A couple new Darwin award candidates :facepalm: and one no-fault-of-their-own death :(.

• Members

Thanks for the CT update. We will try texting them and see what happens. Glad you made out OK up there. Pictures of Long Island didn't look good.

My wife had never seen a hurricane when we got married 10 years ago. Then, Isabel was due hit us. I said "Have you ever been through a hurricane before? I think you should pack the car and leave." She said "No, but we get lots of ice storms in NYC, so how much different can it be? I am staying" and then Isabel hit. She has never made that sort of comment again, and now won't ever take a storm lightly. I know her family had no idea what a real storm could be like until now.

All told, this turned into more of a non-event for most people here. It came very close to us (within 75 miles to the eye) but the dame isn't nearly as bad as Isabel was. Hardly any trees down, fewer limbs, most stores open again, and roads are passable without difficulty. It could have been so much worse...

• CMS Author
I guess FEMA has different rules for different areas? Around these parts... as I understand it, you can't gravel a driveway in a flood plane without a no-rise (FEMA mandated) certificate properly filed with the local courthouse... much less have some populace... actually living (gasp) in a flood plane... unless of-course they're living in a FEMA described flood plane, but it hasn't flooded where they live for 100+ years, and that's why somebody's living there... but never-mind that the facts don't comform to the theory... we gotta go by computer models don't you know? (even though we

• Members

I went to drop off my kid at the daycare down the road so's I could go off and pretend to work but it was closed - power's out in 80% + of the area I hear. I couldn't even get a cup of coffee - the few places open have lines out into the streets.

• Members

Lots of damage in my neighborhood, my house made it through okay with only no power for about 12hours.

Two of my neighbors houses were not so lucky, I think one will be a total loss as the center roof trus is laying on there kitchen floor....

My moms house will be without power for at least 4-5 more days as all the power lines on the main road need to be replaced because of all the numerous tress that took out all the lines & poles.

Where her house is they recorded 85MPH winds (Conimicut Point ).

It's going to be a mess here for a while, Warwick RI looks like a bomb hit it!

Archived