What's all the DSP rocket science?

• Members

With processing, you are paying for the time, experience and test lab of the guy developing the programs. There are a lot of good guys out there but there's also plenty of guys who think they know what they are doing and we know how that can turn out.
;)

So what do you think about the DBX DRPX which are supposedly design for active speakers.

This thread kind of sparked my interest on maybe getting a DRPX.

I have a pair of EV SAX 360's and EV ELX118P's unfortunately EV didn't make any subs in their SAX series and was recommended the Live X would be a decent match.

I'm currently using Presonus SL 16 mixer mono out to a Rane AC22B.

I like my set up because it's simple stupid and like to keep it that way and the DRPX looks simple stupid to use.

I'm not that technical and been learning the old fashion trial and error method is why I highly prefer simple stupid.

Thank goodness I found this place years ago and haven't fried any speakers since.

• Members

The DRPX is fine for eq, but proper powered speakers will have everything but the eq already on board, including a proper crossover. The PRX-612 ids a perfect example of this.

Well my EV's don't have any on board x-over and already own them and it's why I'm asking about the DRPX? and what it be beneficial and worth the cost, if it's nothing but a glorified EQ and x-over then it wouldn't be worth justifying the cost.

• Members

Well my EV's don't have any on board x-over and already own them and it's why I'm asking about the DRPX? and what it be beneficial and worth the cost, if it's nothing but a glorified EQ and x-over then it wouldn't be worth justifying the cost.

Some of the older powered speakers were pretty limited on internal correction eq, most had smpe limiting, but for your purposes, either a simple eq & crossover or the DRPX would work fine.

• Members

Some of the older powered speakers were pretty limited on internal correction eq, most had smpe limiting, but for your purposes, either a simple eq & crossover or the DRPX would work fine.

Okay already got a EQ and x-over so just stick with that easier to see those then looking at a tiny display on a LCD screen.

Thanks

• Members

So in all of this ... are you comparing biamped 2 way or 3way systems? The most bang for the buck is that first crossover between sub and top box. But if it's a good top box that is biamped compared to one that has passive crossovers the biamped one will be about 30% cleaner.

Probably harder to prove this with a listening test now than in the past. But it used to be easier to compare passive to active boxes like Eon and Mackie 450 as there were both active and passive versions. Peavey PRs still come both ways

Archived