Audio plug halfway out?

• Members

Afaik most behringer mixers are just fine with balanced TRS cables, the 1202FX should be ok with TRS to XLR.

You may have damaged the 1/4 inputs to the JBL speaker though, the zip cable can be heavy and the plugs oversized. Something like a 12ga switchcraft could put some strain on the input jack and ultimately break it. Try the XLR input before sending it back.

• Members

If the 1/4" is damaged, the OP should still be able to use the XLR, right?

I'll suggest there's 2ea. 1/4" inputs that I suspect both are wired up to the same gain stage. One is the Mic/line 1/4" input (which I suspect the OP is having problems with), the other is the 1/4" input nestled within the FXLR input.

• Members

@jwlussow - it's just a little Behringer 1202fx mixer. Not 'powered' of course. Are you saying I can get a cable that would connect its 1/4" output to xlr so I could use the speaker?

Yep. Pick up a 1/4" to XLRM and you might be fine. Try that first before send the cab in for repairs.

• Members

@WM - there is only one input jack on each JBL, what I understand is xlr with the glitchy 1/4" in the middle. Rezrover posted a picture above, I believe from the manual.

Ah yes... you are correct. For some reason I had it in my mind the 512 had both the combo FXLR/1/4 jack and a regular 1/4" jack... maybe I was visualizing some eon cabinet or something.

eh? nevermind then... I think I cooked my brain too much yesterday clattering around on my diesel powered sauna (D6 cat dozer with a cab... but no AC, and about 95F... probably about 110 - 120F in the "sauna"... most of the afternoon).

• Members

Yep. Pick up a 1/4" to XLRM and you might be fine. Try that first before send the cab in for repairs.

Except levels way low.

The problem could also be an intermittent mic/line switch. The way some of these work, it's possible for one side of the pad network to float.

Try switching the mic/line switch a few times to see if it resolves the issue first.

• Members

@ agedhorse - thanks but I tried & it's not that switch.

I tried xlr & experience the same issue. With either plug or cable it works for a while, maybe 15 minutes, then cuts out; it may pop a few times. Pull the 1/4" plug out a halfinch & it plays. So I'm guessing the jack is damaged & I should put it in the shop (?)

Thanks everyone for your input.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If it died and pulling the 1/4" out part way fixed it, then something in the + signal path was dying: Jack Tip connection, PCB track, coupling cap, resistor, IC, etc. When you pulled the plug out part way, the Tip of the plug was connecting to the Ring of the jack, sending the signal to the - signal path (that speaker would then have been polarity-reversed from the others).

Archived