Audio plug halfway out?

• Members

Hi, my powered p.a. speaker (JBL PRX512M) plays a while, then unpredictably goes silent. If I pull the (audio) speaker cable's 1/4" plug out half an inch, it works. Tried another cable with same result.

Does this simply mean the jack is bad? I don't understand why it plays with the plug halfway in. Thanks

• Members

@rexrover - sorry I'm not sure but these are dedicated speaker cables I bought at music store; the cable looks like lamp cable (two separated wires.) Hope that identifies them.

@agedhorse - ipod etc into a small stereo mixer, thru the cables to the speakers. The other speaker works fine always. (I can swap cables or channels, with same result on same cabinet. The problem's definitely within this speaker cabinet.)

thanks

• Members

I'm not sure what a dedicated speaker cable is that would look like a lamp cord. Sounds like it is a TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) connector. Does it look like a headphone connector or a guitar connect, in other words, is there just one line between the tip and the shaft of the plug or are there two line (one between the tip and shaft with a second line a little bit farther up the plug)? Sounds to me like you have the second one. Is it 1/4" out from the board?

• Members

So, you're using speaker cables to connect to a powered speaker?

I can't figure out exactly what he is using but I do believe it is wrong. He either has 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS or 1/4" TS to 1/4" TS. With his original symptom, I'm guessing 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS. That is not what I would consider a regular speaker cable. The fact that he compares it to a lamp cord makes me wonder if it is just TS.

• Members

I'm not sure what a dedicated speaker cable is that would look like a lamp cord. Sounds like it is a TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) connector. Does it look like a headphone connector or a guitar connect, in other words, is there just one line between the tip and the shaft of the plug or are there two line (one between the tip and shaft with a second line a little bit farther up the plug)? Sounds to me like you have the second one. Stereo 1/8" from the iPod to stereo 1/4" in the speaker.

balanced.jpg

Unbalanced.jpg

• Members

How much do you have to pay Monster for that graphic?

The comparison to lamp cord (two side by side conductors) has me confused. I'm hoping he can use XLR outs from the board to make this much easier.

PS: I did edit my original post when I noticed he was using a mixer. I missed that fact the first time through.

• Members

@ rezrover, yes I've been using two speaker cables, going from a small mixer which has l & r mono 1/4" outputs, to two speakers (which could take xlr but the mixer can't.)

Am I using the wrong kind of cables? They worked fine for a year till now.

Sorry for calling them dedicated. I mean I understand they're speaker cables (not guitar cables.) The plugs are like the monster above -- what I understood are 1/4" mono. The wire has two wires in flat black plastic that would zip into two parts if needed, like a lamp cord.

I can take a picture later if needed but not right now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Members

... The wire has two wires in flat black plastic that would zip into two parts if needed, like a lamp cord.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Those are speaker cables. Probably not the best choice for your use but I am trying to find out more about the 512s. I think (not sure) that they have a balanced 1/4" input (like rezrover's top picture).

• Members

Sounds like a dropped (or ungrounded, floating) ring. May be intermittent, possibly the jack on the speaker was damaged by using cheap Chinese plugs. Not an uncommon problem, and if it's damaged the only solution is to send back to JBL (or service center) to replace, and stop using the defective plugs.

Not positive however because I can't really figure out what the OP is doing.

• Members

Sounds like a dropped (or ungrounded, floating) ring. May be intermittent, possibly the jack on the speaker was damaged by using cheap Chinese plugs. Not an uncommon problem, and if it's damaged the only solution is to send back to JBL (or service center) to replace, and stop using the defective plugs.

Not positive however because I can't really figure out what the OP is doing.

I'd suspect the OP could test / get by utilizing the 1/4" input nestled in the FXLR jack... if not already doing so.

• Members

Gentlemen, sorry for my ignorance. I gather maybe I've been using wrong cables. They worked for a long time with previous unpowered speakers and a year with these. I'm surprised that these mono 1/4" plugs would damage the jack but maybe they did. Thanks for educating me.

@jwlussow - it's just a little Behringer 1202fx mixer. Not 'powered' of course. Are you saying I can get a cable that would connect its 1/4" output to xlr so I could use the speaker?

Archived