Picking a PA

• Members

I have a buget of approx 6-7k for just the speakers for our PA system, where would i get the most bang for my buck. I have been looking at the JBL PRX series but have read mixed reviews. Looking at doing 2-18" subs for low end and 2 2x15" or 2x12" cabs for mains. Let me know your thoughts.

• Members

Hard driving modern country/southern rock music. Def need the low end for a huge kick drum. We play various rooms and would like a pa that would accommodate all the way up to a 650 person room if needed. I like powered speakers but am not set on only powered. Looking for the best bang for the buck I heard an incredible system this weekend at "the stage" in Nashville on broadway. Amazing!

• Members
would like a pa that would accommodate all the way up to a 650 person room if needed.

Surely you're not planning on mixing from the stage for 650 :eek: ? Have your BE help you spec a system. If you don't have a BE get yourself a system to do ~200 people and hire sound for the bigger places. A pair of PRX612M over PRX618S-XLF is a great system of that size. If you do later hire on a BE you can scale it up as AH said.

• Members

Surely you're not planning on mixing from the stage for 650
:eek:
? Have your BE help you spec a system. If you don't have a BE get yourself a system to do ~200 people and hire sound for the bigger places. A pair of PRX612M over PRX618S-XLF is a great system of that size. If you do later hire on a BE you can scale it up as AH said.

I've mixed from stage for a few thousand before. No, not ideal, but it's based on what their budget is. We'll take the gig, but if it ain't enough dough to support more staff then we're mixing from stage. But sure, if I had to do concert volumes every show for 650 people just setting it all up would get old quick.

• Members

If you're really playing to that many people regularly, IMO, you're well past "JBL PRX" and you need something with larger format compression horn drivers with 1.4" - 2.0" exit. This will give you increased throw needed for bigger, deeper venues. Because this type of box costs more, it can generally get louder and sound better doing it so you can likely get away with fewer of them.

• Members
If you're really playing to that many people regularly, IMO, you're well past "JBL PRX" and you need something with larger format compression horn drivers with 1.4" - 2.0" exit. This will give you increased throw needed for bigger, deeper venues. Because this type of box costs more, it can generally get louder and sound better doing it so you can likely get away with fewer of them.

If most of their gigs are ~200 I agree with AH that doubling up or tripling up a PRX system makes more sense so they don't have to bring a stoopid big rig to the smaller gigs. Maybe they can even rent the extra boxes when they need them and just buy the "basic" 200 person rig :) . OTOH RCF 722A tops would be no bigger and you'd only need four of them for 600+ :D - good luck renting any though :( .

• Members

If your looking for chest pound subs for a driving kick. I would look at Yorkville LS801P's. Only down side is the weight.

Best bet is to holler at Mike here http://audiopyle.com/sales.html I know he can help you out with a good powerful rig that can meet your needs at a price you can afford.

Plenty other folks here that can vouch for his sales and service.

• Members

It's only 650 attendance.. well within the capabilities of 1" drivers and horns, especially 3 of them per side. The horns in the PRX combine qiuite well acoustically with little comb filtering effects. I think it's the best solution that offers the best coverage for the widest variety of rooms.

In a typical room, 650 people will end up about 65-70 feet deep which IMO makes a 1" (or even a 1.4") driver a better choice than brute forcing it with a 2" driver. Then, when faced with a smaller room of 100-250, there are reasonable options.

If the budget was higher, SRX-700 series, and amps/processing might be another option... but 2 x 728's, 4 x 712's, and 2 amps w/ DSP is going to by over budget.

Archived