Peavey QW and JBL PRX

• Members

Two things. 1) Who has used both PRX512's and 612's and how much different are they?

2) Anyone have opinions about me switching from my Peavey QW rig to all PRX?

I only take my current system (QW2's over QW218's) out maybe once a month or so. I love it, but also have not been doing this for long and have limited experience in running other systems. Right now, my system seems almost too big for most applications and its quite heavy. My amp rack of full of GPS amps looks cool but let's be honest, I'm the only one around here who cares. I'm starting to wonder if switching to a powered system might meet my needs better, but I would also rather haul a bunch of heavy stuff around if it is going to sound way better. I see the pros of switching would be that a powered system is lighter, includes processing and such, and can sound great. Cons might be losing some low end w/out my current subs, and maybe having a little less power for outdoor shows that I do maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Also, I'm not sure how easy it would be to sell all the gear I have now. Your thoughts?

• Members

my church has QW218 and its a good sub. But trying to move it regularly for gigs is a scary thought. I hope the other guys in your band help you!

No personal experience with the PRX but having heard them in the shop, they are very close to the quality of the QWs although they sound quite different. Thats subs i'm talking about. No experience with the QW tops.

• Members

Set up properly, IMO, your QW rig would blow away the PRX in both sound quality and output capability. I've heard a few install QW rigs that were flat out impressive. It's Peavey's answer to JBL's SRX and EV's QRx line. The downer is you'll find no neo magnets in these babies so it's a beefy setup that you have to muscle around. If you aren't really doing this all that much and have the means to store and haul the QW rig, I'd stand pat. The cost of convenience will be output capability, a bit of fidelity, and probably some money lost.

• Members

Set up properly, IMO, your QW rig would blow away the PRX in both sound quality and output capability. I've heard a few install QW rigs that were flat out impressive. It's Peavey's answer to JBL's SRX and EV's QRx line. The downer is you'll find no neo magnets in these babies so it's a beefy setup that you have to muscle around. If you aren't really doing this all that much and have the means to store and haul the QW rig, I'd stand pat. The cost of convenience will be output capability, a bit of fidelity, and probably some money lost.

What he said! Only you can decide if your convenience is worth the cost and slight downgrade in spl level of switching? I think the sound quality difference would be unnoticable except at high volume levels and if you get the XLF subs you would actually gain some low frequency extention.

• Members

IF the QW is set up properly AND you don't mind the size-weight, it's probably better BUT not set up properly the 600 series would give it a really good run for the money at about 1/2 the weight and the 618XLF is probably on par with the QW 18" cabinet anyway.

The 600 series in general sounds better than the 500 series, some due to processing and some due to components/crossover.

• Members

The downer is you'll find no neo magnets in these babies so it's a beefy setup that you have to muscle around.

Ahh ... but you can upgrade the magnet structures of the woofers to the new neo units. It nearly doubles the power handling in the bargain.

If you haven't already, you can probably make a big gain in sound quality by going 3-way and using the VSX DSP with the appropriate preset.

• Members

Ahh ... but you can upgrade the magnet structures of the woofers to the new neo units. It nearly doubles the power handling in the bargain.

Of course the cost is significant and the cabinets are not manufactured using light weight materials and techniques so the weight savings is not as great as in the SRX-700 series. (for example)

• Members

Thanks for the advice. That's probably what I wanted to hear.. that my current system is worth holding on to for the moment, more or less. I think financially, I would only break even or so by trying to sell it all off and buy new anyway. Nice to know about the 600 series as well, I want to get rid of my two passive monitors and add two more PRX to the two 512's I have now. Sounds like my next adventures in pissing off the wife will be trying to acquire a couple 612's anyway. It's never over is it? lol

• Members

It nearly doubles the power handling in the bargain.

... and bridge an FP6400 into each cab to power at RMS? I'm thinking of it and it's making me giggle!

The QW rig is killer. It's a question of performance vs. portability. I've heard the PRX600 rigs and they haven't impressed me. They sounded good, sure, but not good enough to make me ditch all my cabs and replace my whole rig. With that said, if you're spending all this time and energy moving these big heavy boxes... you have to look at the time and effort you exert a theoretical expense. The less time and effort you invest into each gig, at the same price rate, means you're making the same money and doing less work!

I suggest you go out and rent a PRX612 or 618XLF rig and use it for one of your shows. Pack it into your van or trailer, load it into the show, listen to how it sounds... what it's like to mix on... how it makes you feel... then pack it all up, load it all back into your van/trailer, then take it home. At the end of the day, you'll be able to decide whether or not the tradeoffs are worth the investment. I'd like to know what your conclusion would be. In your position, I would seriously consider the PRX rig.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. That's probably what I wanted to hear.. that my current system is worth holding on to for the moment, more or less. I think financially, I would only break even or so by trying to sell it all off and buy new anyway. Nice to know about the 600 series as well, I want to get rid of my two passive monitors and add two more PRX to the two 512's I have now. Sounds like my next adventures in pissing off the wife will be trying to acquire a couple 612's anyway. It's never over is it? lol

If you really want/need the convenience, then do the Craigslist thing, but don't give them away. Be clear in the ad that you're not looking for bottom feeders and you'll have only serious inquiries. Big ol' heavy subs are particularly difficult to get money out of, but you never know when someone might happen along looking to add to their QW rig and will give you more than the the general population. Whatever sells first you can replace first. Putting them up for sale will also let you know what they are really worth which could make the decision for you.

• CMS Author

I'd probably sooner consider *adding* a small PRX rig to your inventory than trying to sell the QW. Peavey is respected in some circles, but it simply doesn't have the resale value you really should get for such a high-quality rig. So financially it's a loser to sell off. Keep it, and add lighter powered gear for the smaller shows.

• Members

I'd probably sooner consider *adding* a small PRX rig to your inventory than trying to sell the QW. Peavey is respected in some circles, but it simply doesn't have the resale value you really should get for such a high-quality rig. So financially it's a loser to sell off. Keep it, and add lighter powered gear for the smaller shows.

The thing is he's only using the PA 1-2 times a month. If he has the financial means to justify 2 systems being used 6-8 times a year each, then I'd agree. I think it comes down to how much you need the bigger system. If at least 75% of the gigs are well within the capabilities of the PRX system and there's a desire to lighten the load, then go that way. If you really need a beefy system for larger venues and high level of performance outside, then keep what you have.

Another idea that would be worth at least a phone call is to see if you can rent the KW setup to a local sound company. You'd own it, but would have a little revenue stream with it. Sure it's a long shot, but it would be a desirable FOH setup for many small to mid size events.

Archived