NGD: Hanika 54PF

Glenn F

• Members

So, this is to be my last guitar.

Said it with a straight face......

I went through a bout of serious guitar nuttiness this autumn. I tried two round-should dreads, a Gibson and an Eastman, both were underwhelming. Tried a couple of 'crossover' classicals, but their sound was anemic and generic, at least in the < €1000 range.

Since I had the rosewood/spruce dread combo in my D-28, the round-shoulders were really unjustifiable, even if they'd had no issues, which they had. So, I turned to nylon string guitars, and decided to try out a couple with a radiused/narrower fretboard, and blech.....

I already have a cedar/rosewood classical, which sounds beautiful, plays amazing, but is a little muted on the highs. My wife loves it because it sounds kinda like a lute. It is a Hanika 54PC. I decided to get her twin sister with sitka instead of cedar, and it is a beautiful classical guitar, probably the best I've played in the +/- €1,000 range.

All solid sitka over EIR, ebony fretboard. Fretwork flawless. Came with a very good gigbag.

So, the 54PC was called 'Hannah.' Her sister is called 'Holly.'

So, I am done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31875745[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31875746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31875747[/ATTACH]

• Members

Congratulations. Lovely guitars. Every guitarist should have at least one classical guitar. My first guitar - a BM Espana bought new in 1969 - is still going strong. It sat on a stand in the corner of a room unplayed for many years when I acquired steel string guitars but I returned to it as I matured and now play it most days.

• Members

Thanks. Hanika is a name I didn't know until I moved here to Germany. I think I was originally looking for a Höfner or Yamaha, but the salesdude suggested the Hanika, so I chose the 54PC (Palisander/Cedar) in 2007. Highly recommended for anyone on this side of the pond. Rather than getting some guitar with a Spanish name that's made in Tsintao China, my earlier Hanika purchase informed my decision on this one. Beautiful guitar, all quality.

Now, I have to sell around 3.....

• Members

Indeed. Luckily my BM Espana was actually made in Espana smiley-happy

Funny enough, my first electric was an 'Espana.' Bought in May 1975, at a 2nd hand shop. It was a 335 semi-knockoff, noisey, so I think it had P90s and not humbuckers. Must've dated from the late 60s.

• Members

Actually, no, the cedar doesn't conform to those expectations. The 54PC is more percussive, muted yet with very good dynamics. It is more lute-like, if that's any help. It is also 9 years old, and has opened up somewhat. In contrast, the 54PF is a little richer in tone, a bit snappier attack, and the highs are not so muted. It is already a lovely-sounding guitar, and it will only get better.

There was a time when I thought A) spending more than $500 for a classical guitar was madness and B) two classical guitars were an unwarranted indulgence.

It's always good to keep an open mind, though. :lol:

I am truly pleased with my 54PF.

And now I think my guitar-buying is over, for at least a long time. I haven't looked at electrics for a while, I am getting good at ignoring steel-string gits for incredible bargains, and now I've got my classical bases covered.

What will I do with my OCD personality disorder now? :sm-drool:

Archived