Help me pick out some powered monitors

• Members

Well guys, i've been using the same monitors for the past 10 years and i'm ready to upgrade. I currently use the JBL eon 1500's. I use them as monitors for full band shows(hard rock, 50-300 person crowds) and as speakers on sticks for solo acoustic shows as well. Over the years we've been playing bigger venues and i'd like something a little louder and clearer. If possible i'd like a monitor without a volume control on it. I always use both speakers at the same volume and control it from the board. So go ahead and throw some powered monitor recommendation my way that would also work well as mains for acoustic solo shows. Preferably under $1400 for a pair(new or used).

• Members

Yeah I'm starting to think they don't come without. It's not really a big deal. I just don't currently do it that way because for some reason my eons are from different eras and one is louder then the other. So far i think i'm liking the PRX615m. Anyone have any experience with them or something better in the same price range.

• Members

Yeah I'm starting to think they don't come without. It's not really a big deal. I just don't currently do it that way because for some reason my eons are from different eras and one is louder then the other. So far i think i'm liking the PRX615m. Anyone have any experience with them or something better in the same price range.

Are you wanting 15" active wedges ?

• Members

Might check out a RFC 312A (12" biamped) those can be had retail at $450 might holler at Mike over at Audiopyle http://audiopyle.com/sales.html I think he carries RFC products and I highly recommend buying from.

Plenty folks here using them. Sure they can chime in and vouch for their sound quality and output.

I don't have any personal experience with them just see folks chiming a thumbs up review.

• Members

While over $1400 for the pair, it would be worth looking at a pair of Yorkville NX55P's. I use them for mains and love them (128 db spl, 550 watt enclosure). I've been using the less powerful (and much lower price) NX25P's which work well for monitors but only cause I couldn't afford another pair of NX55P's.

• Members

wedges would work but they have to be able to double as mains up on polls for acoustic gigs.

If you don't mind spending the money on the JBL's stick with the PRX's I still recommend phoning or emailing Mike at Audiopyle I know he can hook you up a good deal.:thu:

• Members

While over $1400 for the pair, it would be worth looking at a pair of Yorkville NX55P's. I use them for mains and love them (128 db spl, 550 watt enclosure). I've been using the less powerful (and much lower price) NX25P's which work well for monitors but only cause I couldn't afford another pair of NX55P's.

I've owned my NX55Ps for over 5 years and although I do really like them for many uses, they certainly don't do 128 DBs and I'd be surprised if they actually do the 125DB Yorkville claims - except maybe on peaks. I just find they limit too early. They also don't throw that well, so these days I find them really expensive for what they are. At 1/2 the price, a pair of RCF 312As will outperform them. They don't have a nice mixer like the NX55Ps do, but at the moment, the 312As are tough to beat when it comes to quality and outpout for $$$. If the OP can still find them for 450$ a piece, I doubt he can do any better. Maybe a pair of 322As could be within his budget. They come with a true 2'' exit horn that might be better to get those vocals out there.

If the OP were to stretch his budget a little, a set of Yamaha DSR112s would be a great hi output choice IMO.

Anyway, as much as I like and have always liked Yorkville - they need to release an updated NX55P type speaker with better performance than the current model - especially if they're going to keep selling it at close to two grand a pair. Just getting rid of that ridiculous bass boost (or making it user selectable) would be a good start. With all of these powerful and capable cabs coming out lately from QSC, EV, Yamaha etc... Yorkville needs to step up their game.

Al

• Members

I concur with Al about the Yorkville's. They are a slightly updated NX550P and are getting a bit long in the tooth and a bit overpriced for what they are, IMO. Amazing low end at low volumes, but annoying active EQ that rolls off lows in a hurry as the volume rises. SPL is all that really matters, but FYI, they are not really 550 watts either, but roughly 1/2 that as Yorkville uses "program watts" with their amps.

I use RCF 310A's and love them, but 312's would be good too. The JBL's would be an excellent choice as well. Respected brand, widely available, good service network and well reviewed.

• Members

Check out the PRX612s... Nice size for monitors and if you're only using them with an acoustic (when using them at FOH), you may be pleasantly surprised at their performance in the low end.

I am finding that my 612's are perfect for small acoustic shows. I am loving them as monitors.

• Members

So I'm leaning toward the prx612ms also considering the k10 and the nx55. But the main thing id lik to know is the difference between those speakers and my current jbl eon 15p

Got any local dealers that stock the PRX stuff on hand? IMO best to go take a listen. You already know what the Eons can do. I know the RFC you probably won't find nor the Yorkies unless you find a dealer that carries the Yorkie and RFC stuff. You could always search on line and see if their any RFC or Yorkville dealers.

Down side with both RFC and Yorkville is warranty claims will have to be shipped to the nearest service center for any warranty repairs vs the JBL that probably can fix them locally or at least within a hour or two driving distance.

• Members

Has anyone used the Yorkville E10P?

Yep. Did a review on it about 2 years ago. The review was pretty positive. Here is how I sould describe the E10P :

Great looking

Very powerful for its size

Compact and reasonably light

Good mixer section

EXPENSIVE

Sound is OK, but the horn is somewhat honky and not all that plesant sounding

If you're looking for something the size and power of the E10P, the RCF 310A is a better sounding powered box at a better price.

Al

Archived