New pickups and bridge for Yamaha Pacifica 112

malibu43

• Members

Hi all,

I've had my Yamaha Pacifica for 13 years now and have really liked it. However, recently the volume pot has started to cut out completely at times, and I'm planning on replacing it. I recently changed out the pickups in another guitar (first time doing it) and have now been bitten by the bug to upgrade the Pacifica. I have always felt the tone is a little too dark, both with the humbucker and the single coils (single coils on this guitar are actually so dead sounding I find them unplayable). Plus, I figure if I'm going to have the guitar open and unsolder the volume pot, I may as well try some upgraded pickups as well. On top of that, the stock bridge has become rusty and corroded from years of sweaty practice, so I was thinking of dropping a new bridge in as well, with a big heavy steel block vs the zinc (at least that's what I've heard) block in the stock bridge.

So anyway, I wanted to get some recommendations for pickups as well as a bridge. I use the humbucker 90% of the time I play this guitar, and use it mainly for Hard Rock/Punk. In general, I prefer a bright punchy sound over a warm smooth one.

I have about $150 to spend on the project in total. I know this won't get me top of the line components, but I'm hoping even middle of the road upgrades with be a noticeable improvement over the stock gear.

Suggest away!

Thanks.

• Members

Not going to say for sure but it looks like a standard Strat bridge will fit. As for the pickups, you might try a larger value pot first. No idea what's in it now but if it has 250K or 500K pots switching to 1 Meg pots will brighten the tone a bit. If it works it's a cheap fix.

• Members
Not going to say for sure but it looks like a standard Strat bridge will fit. As for the pickups' date=' you might try a larger value pot first. No idea what's in it now but if it has 250K or 500K pots switching to 1 Meg pots will brighten the tone a bit. If it works it's a cheap fix.[/quote']

Thanks. That's a good point. Maybe I'll grab a 500k and 1Meg and give them both a try before I do anything else.

I'm still interested in PU suggestions that will fit my budget, though, in case I decide to go that rout.

• Members

Since you are doing the punk thing, singles may not be what you need. there are some decent, and extremely affordable single coil sized humbuckers on feebay. I have a couple, I paid 10 bucks a pop for, and am very happy with the over all tone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musiclily-Single-Coil-Size-Rail-Blaster-Humbucker-Pickup-For-Guitar-Parts-New-/201363380088?hash=item2ee2315778:g:798AAOSw~bFWLcfg

• Members
Since you are doing the punk thing, singles may not be what you need. there are some decent, and extremely affordable single coil sized humbuckers on feebay. I have a couple, I paid 10 bucks a pop for, and am very happy with the over all tone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musiclily-Single-Coil-Size-Rail-Blaster-Humbucker-Pickup-For-Guitar-Parts-New-/201363380088?hash=item2ee2315778:g:798AAOSw~bFWLcfg

Hey! Now that's an idea! I think I may do that for just for the sake of trying it out, and then grab a 500k and 1 Meg pot as well.

Maybe instead of a new bridge I'll just block it to get sort of a Les Paul set up....

Archived