Sub and amp matching?

• Members

Need to know since Peavey released their new IPR4500 amp. How it would match up to a pair of Yorkville LS608 subs ? 1 sub per side @ 8 ohms

Also can the subs handle crowd of 200-400 ppl. Christian rock band.

My ex drummer looking to add passive subs that won't break his back or bank account.

Figured I ask here first before I tell him.

Thanks

• Members

An IPR3000 is safe for them subs - the IPR4500 not-so-much. One pair of those subs are good for 150+. I'd not try to cover more than 250 with a single pair.

Isn't the LS608 loaded with 600w rms drivers? 1 sub per side of amp on a 8 ohm load, IPR 440 per side @ 8 ohms is that a good match?

• Members
Isn't the LS608 loaded with 600w rms drivers? 1 sub per side of amp on a 8 ohm load, IPR 440 per side @ 8 ohms is that a good match?

Yorkville sez 800w program. The IRP4500 puts out 775 wpc into 8 ohms. If you're trying to cover 400 with one pair you'll be driving the snot out of them and you could get away with that with an IPR3000 but the IPR4500 would be a bit much. OTOH if you get two pairs the IPR4500 would probably be OK.

• Members

I ran LS608's for a few years powering them with a RMX4050hd, either (1) per channel or (2) per channel depending on the system.

Never had a single issue with that much power going to them (800w @ 8ohms), and IMO the driver in the 608 can take a ton of abuse without failing.

The biggest issue with the 608 is getting them to stay still on the floor, they are a very light box and also not very well braced internally so you get a lot of box flexing.

This causes drinks that get placed on top of them to vibrate off with ease and also will make you chase them across the floor from them vibrating away....unless you put a heavy cabinet on top of them....

(2) subs will be maxed out to do a 200 person room, they also take a bit of EQ'ing to get a decent thump out of them.....a nice 6db boost around 60hz helps that box out alot.

I always crossed them over with my high packs at 90hz.(RCF ART325i).

If there are 50hz limiters in the IPR amps I would not have a problem driving them with a 4500, if there isn't any limiters in those amps spend the money on a amp that has them.

• Members

No HPF's on these amps is a little disappointing. On the other hand it will be good for the recone business. Just think of all the people getting ready to buy the 4500 or even better the 6000 so they can bridge them into their pair of 718's.

• Members
No HPF's on these amps is a little disappointing. On the other hand it will be good for the recone business. Just think of all the people getting ready to buy the 4500 or even better the 6000 so they can bridge them into their pair of 718's.

You can't officially bridge them :p .

• Members
Really? I have new found respect for Peavey. Is this a new step towards idiot proofing passive systems?

Mostly it saves them the cost of the switch. If you ask on their forum they'll still tell you how to bridge them :freak: . If they gave a @#$% about idiot proofing them they'd have HPF's for subs or left out the crappy 100hz "crossover" :p . OTOH the 100Hz HPF's are handy for monitors :D .

• Members

Mostly it saves them the cost of the switch. If you ask on their forum they'll still tell you how to bridge them
:freak:
. If they gave a @#$% about idiot proofing them they'd have HPF's for subs or left out the crappy 100hz "crossover"
:p
. OTOH the 100Hz HPF's are handy for monitors
:D

Don't they have a DSP version to do this stuff?

• Members

Okay the IPR don't have limiters and basically to much amp for the subs.

So which QSC GX5 or GX7 ? and keep in mind it's a church band no collapse a lung.

Lots of blue hair not sleeves of tattoos and body piercing type of crowd.

• Members

Okay the IPR don't have limiters and basically to much amp for the subs.

So which QSC GX5 or GX7 ? and keep in mind it's a church band no collapse a lung.

Lots of blue hair not sleeves of tattoos and body piercing type of crowd.

They (IPR's) have limiters.

• Members

Aged can you explain a little how the DDT limiting works in these amps.

Basic process of most amp clip limiters is that the output is compared with the input and when the output stops increasing relative to the input, a corrective error signal is sent to a gain reduction cell that momentatily reduces the amp's gain.

There are 2 or 3 common ways to do the detection but the basic concept is the same.

Archived