Tube amp load box / cabinet emulator?

SteinbergerHack

• Members

Background: I have never used any sort of simulator or direct-in system, nor do I use gain pedals for distortion/drive. I have always used tube amps with "real" cabinets - I don't even use any sort of pedalboard. My main rig is a Bogner XTC with a wah pedal and a time-delay rack unit for chorus/echo/reverb; backup is an old Marshall JCM800. The handful of times I've tried to run direct, it has sounded like garbage; I realize that it can be done with the right gear, but since I am 100% satisfied with the rig I have, I have never wanted to spend any more $$$ on more electronics.

Issue: I have just been asked to play a show series where the expectation is no amps - 100% direct. I honestly detest the very concept of not having live sound to get the feel and balance of the ensemble, but I really want to do these gigs because I want to work with a couple of the other players. Trouble is, I have no good way to do this today, and I'd prefer not to have to borrow something that I don't have time to dial in, nor do I want to drop $2K+ for a Kempler.

Question: Is there a device on the market that does a credible job of simulating a cabinet load and sound, and gives a direct out that doesn't sound like crap? I have an old THD Hotplate, and it just doesn't sound good.....what else is there, and do any of 'em actually work?

[This is cross-posted from the amps forum....thought I'd try here to get some more responses....tx]

• Members

I have a jet city jettenuator.

It's an attenuator for up to 100W, 4, 8 and 16ohms taps, and also has a DI out and an cab sim xlr out.

To be honest, I've only used it as an attenuator (very good there), so you'd need to do you research on the di cab sim business.

Hugues and Kettner also have a load box with cab sim out, I think called the red box - no idea if it's any good though.

'Hack, do check into that Two Notes Torpedo CAB and listen to some of the demo videos if you get the chance. If you can quiet the amp with a load box, I think you'd be pleased with the sound it gives you for power amp and cab simulation. You'd still be able to use your own head and the sounds you're used to for the preamp, while keeping the soundperson(s) happy.

The street prices have dropped a bit since I did that review - both Musician's Friend as well as Sweetwater have them at $495 now.

Archived