Presonus StudioLive 1.5.2 out of Beta

• Members

Just thought I'd let any StudioLivers out there that the long awaited "official release" is out. I upgraded about an hour ago and it went off without a hitch.

1 - stereo 31 EQ on mains. I think it was joined before

2 - 31 band EQ's on all auxes

3 - up to 500 ms delay on all the sub-groups.

4 - You can now put "more stuff" into the aux mixes including: Tape input, Main firewire return, Aux A & B, and both effects. I was concerned the effects return would be cheesy and just apply to the aux mix, but that's not the case. It keeps them channel independent. It mimics the main buss effects so whatever you have going on there will apply. This will really make the drummer happy since he uses IEM's and e-drums. The outputs are dry from his drum module so that's how he's always heard them.

5- Better tap tempo implementation. Whatever effect you have dialed up is what will tap, which makes complete sense. Not sure how it worked before as I don't use it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had the beta, but the "more stuff" of the aux mixes did not work, i was not able to increase the levels, it would just have the high and low led lit up and thats it. nothing happened when the encoders were changed.

I'll have to update to the official release this week. Thanks for the heads up'

• Members

I had the beta, but the "more stuff" of the aux mixes did not work, i was not able to increase the levels, it would just have the high and low led lit up and thats it. nothing happened when the encoders were changed.

I read enough feedback from others on the Presonus board to not be a lab rat. Gigging every weekend it just wasn't worth a mid-week board meltdown and the ensuing panic of getting it functional for the next show. I'm on vacation the rest of the week so the timing was perfect. I went through all the features and they work fine. I'm getting ready to run the auto-EQ from my driverack on a monitor speaker. From the results I get I'll set the 31 band on the EQ to mimic the changes the driverack made.

• Members

5- Better tap tempo implementation.
Whatever effect you have dialed up is what will tap, which makes complete sense. Not sure how it worked before as I don't use it.

Before you had to step through the effects parameters to highlight the tempo, then you could use Tap Tempo. I guess this was alright if you were using two different delays. For me, this is a nice improvement.

• Members

I can see the benefit of the sub group delay for maybe 2-3 gigs a year. We do a boat load of weddings and occasionally the room is either oddly shaped or there are 2 rooms. I'll route my in ears to a speaker to go wireless to a speaker 1/2 way down a deep room. Being able to delay that second stack will be nice. I'll just need need to get a little delay cheat sheet to bring along with me.

What I wish they'd add is:

- HPF for subgroups and main output

- A steeper slope of at least -12dB per octave on the HPF as it's -6dB now and practically worthless for live sound. A global selectable slope would kick butt (6,12,18,24)

- A basic crossover function - This will never happen, but it would be cool to have a crossover with a simple selectable 80HZ - 120Hz crossover. When active you'd run the subs via the mono out and the mains via the stereo out. This would be all most folks would need as far as crossover and would be a slick way to implement and give the ability to do away with all outboard processing

• Members

I got the final BETA and it loaded just fine a few weeks ago. iPad app not working properly, but understand the app is on the way through Apple's hoops. I got the download for the official release, but haven't loaded it yet.

So far;

The old way the main eq worked was linked dual mono. Or linked stereo, if that seems more accurate. Now, it's separate. I would like them to be linked if I wanted them to be.

I didn't realize the tap delay was improved. I will have to check that out.

Right now, I don't have a need for delay on the subs. But, love that it's there.

I really like the 8 aux eqs. I will use them from time to time.

I definitely will be using the aux flip mode. I already used it for adding subs (aux6) to the iTunes firewire return on channels 17&18. That's the best feature to me so far.

However long it takes Apple to get the iPad app up online won't be too soon for me. I really like being out in the audience mixing on it. I have gotten so fast at getting things on the fly. I like being able to go onstage and check monitors. No talkback mic, no noise out in FOH mix, etc. I do have to set gains before hand, but that's not too bad.

Not bad, Presonus. Like, like, like! :thu:

• Members

I can see the benefit of the sub group delay for maybe 2-3 gigs a year. We do a boat load of weddings and occasionally the room is either oddly shaped or there are 2 rooms. I'll route my in ears to a speaker to go wireless to a speaker 1/2 way down a deep room. Being able to delay that second stack will be nice. I'll just need need to get a little delay cheat sheet to bring along with me.

What I wish they'd add is:

- HPF for subgroups and main output

- A steeper slope of at least -12dB per octave on the HPF as it's -6dB now and practically worthless for live sound. A global selectable slope would kick butt (6,12,18,24)

- A basic crossover function - This will never happen, but it would be cool to have a crossover with a simple selectable 80HZ - 120Hz crossover. When active you'd run the subs via the mono out and the mains via the stereo out. This would be all most folks would need as far as crossover and would be a slick way to implement and give the ability to do away with all outboard processing

Yea their pitching SAC mixer features for VSL so you got plugins support and adding room analyzing plugin for VSL. Won't help the x-over feature which would be so cool, but could help the steeper HPF with a VSL plugins. Hey you never know we ask for 31 band eq's on the aux we got it now along with some with the A/B aux send big plus on that for line level :thu:

• Members

I made the suggestions on the forums over there and already got shut down by 2 employees with pretty much a "don't call us, we'll call you". Oh well, I was the one responsible for their first update, which was earlier than they wanted. I pointed out the lack of aux mutes as a major boo boo and others soon jumped on the bandwagon and they added the feature in a few months. The HPF's aren't as glaring, but I still find it a real deficiency of the board as a -6 dB slope is fairly worthless in live audio. It becomes a compromise of either getting the lows out and losing material I want to keep or the other way around.

• Members

I'll have to update to the official release this week. Thanks for the heads up'

when you had the hi and low LED's lit up, was it on channels 7 and beyond?

on my SL24.4.2 that happens when you press mix twice. It lets you adjust the efx on each aux, along with talkback...

• Members

when you had the hi and low LED's lit up, was it on channels 7 and beyond?

on my SL24.4.2 that happens when you press mix twice. It lets you adjust the efx on each aux, along with talkback...

yes it was on channels 7 and up. I press mix twice then the encoders do not adjust the less in between the hi and low led's

• Members

Those encoders do nothing. You can only use the first 6. The channel one encoder is to send the firewire return into the aux mix. The second channel is something else, etc. Read the update notes. 7 thru16 or 24 does nothing and are not used.

• Members

Gotta love "hidden" (or buried) features. Oh... what does this thing do in this mode versus that mode. My favorite part of (some) digital consoles (and digital products of all kinds).

To be fair they did release documentation. It's tough too when you keep improving on an piece of gear with software updates, but are handcuffed by the original design of the hardware. Pretty cool that you end up getting more than you bought with constant development on an existing piece. That's the benefit of the digital age I suppose. It's scary too though as there's more of a chance of a catastrophic failure if your board goes down. I carry a backup mixer, but would lose all EQ and processing if the mixer took a dump.

• Members

so why couldn't they just use the led strips from channels 1-6 and the encoders from 1-6 instead of 7-12?

I breezed through the documentation. was supposed to go back and read it more in depth but ya know that whole "life" thing keeps getting in the way lol.

• Members

It's not the catasprophif failure that gets in the way of some of these "features", it's that you have to remember these things for every different platform and they can change. It's one way for your pooch to get screwed unknowingly by accessing one of these functions.

On one of my large video projectors, there's an image control calibration menu that contains some options that you can not escape from witout reboooting the projector and you can't save any previous changes unless you saved them BEFORE entering this area. Really dumb feature.

• Members

so why couldn't they just use the led strips from channels 1-6 and the encoders from 1-6 instead of 7-12?

I breezed through the documentation. was supposed to go back and read it more in depth but ya know that whole "life" thing keeps getting in the way lol.

They are using 1-6 strips and encoders. 7-16 on my SL 16.4.2 have 2 LEDs lit and static. This is to signify that nothing happens there. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

• Members

It's not the catasprophif failure that gets in the way of some of these "features", it's that you have to remember these things for every different platform and they can change. It's one way for your pooch to get screwed unknowingly by accessing one of these functions.

On one of my large video projectors, there's an image control calibration menu that contains some options that you can not escape from witout reboooting the projector and you can't save any previous changes unless you saved them BEFORE entering this area. Really dumb feature.

You're mixing my words. The "catastrophic failure" comment was separate from the "features and implementation" comment. To clarify, often added features have nowhere to go but "somewhere else" as they get developed. That means it's less obvious/intuitive. Balancing ease of use with features is always a compromise. A lot of software handles this with "basic" and "advanced" menus. This way you aren't distracted by all the item can do, but just directed towards the major functions.

Specific to StudioLive, the "aux flip" mode could indeed be confusing if you weren't aware of it and inadvertently tapped the mix button twice and ended up with a mix function that doesn't behave as expected. It's too bad there wasn't a way to let the user know "You're not in Kansas anymore" when accessing the function. Now, once you do understand it's there the double LED's on channel strips > 6 are a clear sign you're on the aux flip layer.

I love the SL for it's lack of "layers" outside of the LCD screen. There's no denying that the new "aux flip" feature is the introduction "layers" on this board. To me the features are more important than the fact they had to do it with a layer approach. I suppose they could have put a menu item in the LCD part that turned this function on or off so it was up to the user to make that layer available. If you knew about it you'd know to unlock it to use, if you didn't you couldn't because it would be locked by default.

• Members

They are using 1-6 strips and encoders. 7-16 on my SL 16.4.2 have 2 LEDs lit and static. This is to signify that nothing happens there. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

Ok I'm on the trolley with you now. I saw a pitcher that had the high and low led's lit and explained the new aux flipe mode and thought those were the encoders TO use. I'm sure mine works as expected then. Thanks!

• Members

Gotta love "hidden" (or buried) features. Oh... what does this thing do in this mode versus that mode. My favorite part of (some) digital consoles (and digital products of all kinds).

Yea I'm ready to move to a digital Midas Pro2 mixer now.

Just kidding :cool: My SL mixer and lappy is plenty for my needs.

• Members

I never understood the burning need for putting aux masters on faders... once set they pretty much stay where they are for most (at least pro) users. One more (relatively useless) feature to get in the way.

Now if they had a live only version of the software for the board that locked out and hid all of the recording features, that would help simplify the user interface, but for it's intended market it's more feature driven than workflow driven anyway.

Archived