Older Sonics...deal or no deal?

• Members

I don't see overweight bulky cabs from lesser known manufacturers gaining much in value.

While that's true, locally, I could flip those for at least $350 for the pair. The question is, how much would it take to get them looking good, and sounding good.... I could make at least $100 on them after stripping the fur, sanding, and painting, but would it be worth the effort? Here in Florida Sonic is really well known. Sonic and old "SSC" cabinets are everywhere.(Superior Sound Company - I'm assuming this is old products from the sound company that became "Galaxy Audio".) Thoroughbred Music and Suncoast music in Central & South Florida were huge Sonic dealers - so that stuff if all overt he place down here.

• Members

What kind of paint do you recommend for speaker cabinets? I have a pair of Turbosound subs in the ugly blue that I'd like to redo while I'm at it. What are the best ways to prepare them for painting? Is it just sanding off the old paint? I assume I can't just paint over the original finish? Thanks

• Members

I have a couple of brand new replacement horns for 2" exit that IIRC are exact replacements. I also have some spare 2" exit drivers that are very close.

The opening in the horn appears to be only an inch in diameter. Do i assume correctly that a 2" exit conversion would involve a new driver and horn? Can that be done on a budget considering we're talking about some rode hard boxes. What would the benefits be? (greater clarity/power handling/throw/spl?) I got these home today and hooked them up to my old microtech 1000 and thought they sounded pretty good. All 4 woofers, both horns and both tweeters worked which was nice.

• Members

The opening in the horn appears to be only an inch in diameter. Do i assume correctly that a 2" exit conversion would involve a new driver and horn?

And a crossover, and to really do it right, probably LF drivers to match. Basically everything.

• Members

Duraflex is exactly what they use!

I think you're thinking of Dura
tex
, the water based product.

Yup, you are right it is the TEX I was thinking about. Medoicre product compared with the good stuff. I used about 10 gallons of TEX for a project and I wouldn't use it again.

• Members

hey dont forget the box itself, also input jacks and plates, corners, handles etc. replace all that and you'd be set!

Well, Sonic makes a pretty good birch box, though to really do it right, it might need to be retuned. Their heavier boxes have passable handles. The corners and such are pretty cheapie, but maybe that's no big deal.

They don't have PCB mounted jacks (they mount the pre-built Eminence crossovers to the cab), so provided it has the right connectors, it probably could still be used. But then again, this is said to be an older box, so maybe it's all 1/4".

Either way, it's definitely not worth the cost/effort.

Archived