Older Sonics...deal or no deal?

• Members

Found a pair of older Sonic 3-way cabinets (2-12's, large horn on top, and small bullet type tweeter) for $100. Would these be worth picking up for some larger gymnasium type gigs or small outdoor festival events? I currently have a set of Mackie 450's that I like but was wondering if there's anything to gain with the larger cabinets mentioned? (besides a hernia as they are a bit large!) I do have a Crown XS500 available to power them that seems like it would be a good fit. Also the rat fur is in poor shape, could a guy just strip it all off and repaint the cabinets? I'm kind of looking for a bit of a project and thought these might be fun to tear apart, but not if there's no upside. Thoughts?

• Members

Sonic Speakers is on par with Pyle...

Not really. Pyle now uses birch ply and RCF and Radian drivers?

Sonic are really crudely engineered boxes, but they're constructed well (for M.I. stuff) and offer decent components. Their bottom range is loaded with Eminence Kappas and PS2002s, and off-the-shelf Eminence passive electronics -- they're not unlike Yamaha Clubs.

Their "upgraded" lines are loaded with (better) Eminence, EV, RCF, and Radian.

• Members
I'm guessing it is the 2 inch exit horn, it's large....say 14x8 and the tweeter is adjustable at the crossover. There's a biamp option with the crossover as well. Everything seems to be working it's just the cabinets are in kind of rough shape.

They made them in both versions. And the horn size is the same for the 1" and the 2" versions. They are a pretty decent cab, but pretty heavy for what you get. As always, Sonic makes very well constructed boxes. Mostly baltic birch except for the newer bottom end models.

• Members

Are there any situations where a speaker of this design would perform better than my Mackie 450's? I have some older Sonic 15in scoops I was thinking of putting these on top of. Considering they're twice as heavy and unpowered, I'm not that into taking on the project if there's no benefit. Any problem with my idea of stripping the fur and repainting? Thanks.

• Members
:confused:

You still haven't confirmed which design the speaker is...

Which model is it?

That might help! I believe he is referring to the one on the right, which they apparently no longer offer. http://www.sonicspeaker.com/tiseries.htm T212FR. As for the question, if this is the model, they would certainly be capable of more output than the Mackies if driver properly.

• Members

Yes, it appears they are an older version of the Sonic T212. It's a 3-way trapaziod cabinet. If the horn is the same size on the 1 and 2in exit is the only way to tell what you've got by removing it and looking directly at the driver? I'm guessing this is a 4ohm box and 500 watts would match up with it pretty well.

• Members

The question is - can you make money off of them? 5 to 10 years ago, you could have bought them, striped the fur off, sanded & painted them and turned around and sell them for at least 3 times the money invested if you decided you didn't want to keep them. You still might be able to, I'm not sure. Personally, since you have the subs already - I'd go for it. But sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment like that. LOL

• Members
The question is - can you make money off of them? 5 to 10 years ago, you could have bought them, striped the fur off, sanded & painted them and turned around and sell them for at least 3 times the money invested if you decided you didn't want to keep them. You still might be able to, I'm not sure. Personally, since you have the subs already - I'd go for it. But sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment like that. LOL

I don't see overweight bulky cabs from lesser known manufacturers gaining much in value.

Archived