Great Live Setup for an Electronic Solo Artist

• Members

Hello my fellow music makers!

I would love any input from your experiences with powered speakers, like i want to buy 2 powered speakers and a subwoofer all for around $2,000

I make catchy, danceable, experimental electronic pop music. It's very bassy and I would like something that could handle that. Do any of you have an input on what a good combination of good speakers and a sub that could handle a lot of bass?

I haven't recorded in a couple of years and these are very amateur recordings but, if you'd like to hear some of my music to help give you an idea of what kind of sound would be coming out of these speakers, then you can hear some at www.reverbnation.com/thenoumena

Thanks so much my friends for any input or ideas!

Altus

• Members

I mainly use a sampler/sequencer Yamaha RS7000. Sometimes an old nameless guitar that i put through a Boss GT-8. I would be playing in bars, clubs, cafes. Hope this helps, and would appreciate any input. I know this topic is covered a lot and I am doing research at the moment, but would just like any input from experienced users. :)

• Members

Pair of RFC's on ebay right now are going for $800 a pair and single JBL XLF sub probably can get for $1200 new if you shop hard enough. Just don't drive the snot out of the subs trying to stay up with the tops put you right in the $2000 and the sub already has a x-over that can be use to HP the tops.

Best option I can think of and pretty sure you will be super happy.

• Members

Looks like they sold all the pairs they had at one time but their still selling a single for $400 a pop and only have 3 left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCF-ART-312A-Active-Powered-Speaker-ART312A-Authorized-Dealer-/270826548866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e852e82

You could just monitor with headphones if you had to but, I know with a pair of the RFC 312a and single JBL 618SXLF you can probably hear the mix just fine with out a wedge. Since your a one man show and don't have to deal with hard hitting drummer pounding the crap out of his drums or egomaniac guitarist with a 1/2 stack turned to 11 and bassist with a fridge size bass rig.

• Members

the vrx is a little smaller, and a lot of people like it the same or better as the pxr. i may get it over the pxr just because it is slightly smaller and would be an easier fit in my car...

Maybe Age can chime I think those are the subs he uses.

• Members

Nice subs! Ive used them a few times. I used a pair of them for a small fashion show last year. Only about 200-250 peeps, big reflective room. I was very happy with the output and quality of the tone. Plenty extra on tap too! Good price btw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

ok, so it took a bit longer to get the money, but all that matters now is that i have it.

people so great stuff about the RFC 312a's. found them for 449 each, so i'm gonna get those. now i'm still not sure what to do about the sub. i don't have any experience with them either. i'm buying one. i'm leaning toward the jbl prx518. someone told me mackie's are the best for subs, what's your opinion on mackie vs. other companies?

all i know is that i want it to be able to put out a nice punchy low end, be a powered speaker, and be reliable.

appreciate any feedback

thanks friends,

altus

• Members

ok, so it took a bit longer to get the money, but all that matters now is that i have it.

people so great stuff about the RFC 312a's. found them for 449 each, so i'm gonna get those. now i'm still not sure what to do about the sub. i don't have any experience with them either. i'm buying one. i'm leaning toward the jbl prx518. someone told me mackie's are the best for subs, what's your opinion on mackie vs. other companies?

all i know is that i want it to be able to put out a nice punchy low end, be a powered speaker, and be reliable.

appreciate any feedback

thanks friends,

altus

Might consider the JBL PRX618XLF which from what I read has more output then the PRX518 which read has pretty weak output.

You can always turn down more but can't turn up not enough.

Mackie I've read has reliability issues since he sold out and moved off shore and QC when to the gutter.

• Members

what about the CVA-121 21 ? anyone know how these compare?

It's heavy at 180lbs and if weight not a isuue then I would go with Yorkville LS801P at 137lbs and is like having a pair of subs.

I doubt you'll find any negitive reviews with the Yorkville LS801P other then it's weight.

• Members

oh wow, i didn't even notice the weight. yea, since i'm a one man i'd want it to be as light as it could be. thanks man. so many choices in subs...

IMO your best choice would be the JBL 618SXLF sub 86lbs which has on board x-over and is design to work as a 2+1 satellite system. I'm saving up for a pair of myself :)

Archived