EV TX1181 V JBL SRX 718S

• Members

I've got the cash to buy two EV TX1181 subs but not for two JBL SRX 718S.

The EVs are going to work out at about $900 Aus Dollar each while the JBLs are going to be close to $1500 each + threaded poles.

Will the EVs work fine for small venue rock bands or should I keep saving (pretty sure I know the answer but I need reasurance:))

Here are some specs

JBL SRX 718S

Freq Response (

• Members

That EV sure doesnt drop very low!

Certainly not as good as the JBL. How low do I need to go for a decent kick drum?

Low E on a bass guitar is about 41Hz - so the Ev will struggle with the fundamental, really struggle if its a low B.

Cheers

• Members

Low E on a bass guitar is about 41Hz - so the Ev will struggle with the fundamental, really struggle if its a low B.

Just a FYI - most bass cabs do not reproduce the fundamentals of the lowest notes on the bass and to do so can make your mix "muddy". The "definitive" 8x10 bass cab is -10db at 40 Hz - it's all about the harmonics :D :

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810av

• Members

Another vote for the 718 Plus IMO one is better then none just don't drive the snot out of it trying to hang with the ZX cabs at least with a 2&1 satellite rig you got some bottom end to help reinforce the low end. Then add the second when you can.

I also recommend getting a x-over for simplicity's sake your method of using the amp's x-over and mixing with the mixer's x-over sounds like a recipe for disaster and confusion IMO.

• Members

Can you listen to both? The EV goes plenty low for most styles of live music for kick and bass guitar and they would be plenty for most of your needs it appears, but I would rather have one 718 if it would be enough for most of my gigs and if there are rentals available for the larger gigs while you save up the extra money to buy another.

• Members

As you can see Art, there are very few definitives or absolutes when you are looking at something like this. What it boils down to is, what works best for you? Define your current and long term needs and pick the product that best fits those needs. Not the cheapest product. Not the best product. The product that best fits your needs and provides the best ROI.

Without a doubt, the SRX718 is a superior box to the TX1181. But, that doesn't mean that it's the best box for you. If one SRX718 suits your needs, then that's a solid recommendation as the others have pointed out. But, does one SRX box meet your current needs? Does it fit into your long term goals/ needs? Does adding another SRX box down the road provide a decent ROI? Look at the TX1181 and ask the same questions.

We all make decisions and sacrifices along the way. My choice of QRX118's for my band used the same approach. Sure, there are better boxes out there. In fact, the SRX is likely one of them. But, they meet my current & long term needs and I got them at a ridiculously low price as part of a package deal with some other gear. I would have a really tough time finding a similar product that meets those needs and provides the ROI that these do.

Good luck buddy. Think things thru and shop wisely. You'll find the product that works best for you.

• Members

As you can see Art, there are very few definitives or absolutes when you are looking at something like this. What it boils down to is, what works best for you? Define your current and long term needs and pick the product that best fits those needs. Not the cheapest product. Not the best product. The product that best fits your needs and provides the best ROI.

Without a doubt, the SRX718 is a superior box to the TX1181. But, that doesn't mean that it's the best box for you. If one SRX718 suits your needs, then that's a solid recommendation as the others have pointed out. But, does one SRX box meet your current needs? Does it fit into your long term goals/ needs? Does adding another SRX box down the road provide a decent ROI? Look at the TX1181 and ask the same questions.

We all make decisions and sacrifices along the way. My choice of QRX118's for my band used the same approach. Sure, there are better boxes out there. In fact, the SRX is likely one of them. But, they meet my current & long term needs and I got them at a ridiculously low price as part of a package deal with some other gear. I would have a really tough time finding a similar product that meets those needs and provides the ROI that these do.

Good luck buddy. Think things thru and shop wisely. You'll find the product that works best for you.

Wise counsel Smitty. No question the SX719 is clearly a superior sub. The better question, as you pointed out, is which product works best for me. Right now the TX1181 would be a nice acquisition - a year or so down the track I fear it will pull up short.

I am only a part-time soundman so ROI wise the TX1181 make sense but the tradesmen in me appreciates the value of a fine tool. Decisions, decisions .........

Thanks all for the excellent advice. I do appreciate it!

Cheers

• Members

It's easy for us here in the States to say "JBL" when we would be paying almost 1/2 for them than you are down under. I don't know - I wouldn't limit yourself to just these two choices if it were my cash. I've heard that the price on RCF stuff is fairly reasonable in Australia. Is that true? They make a powered 18" sub that supposed to be pretty decent. Here in the Pacific Northwest RCF speakers are practically non-existent so I wouldn't know first hand...

Archived