NEW AFFORDABLE PX AMPLIFIER FROM YORKVILLE

• Members

Yorkville's new PX line seems to have been designed to compete with QSC's GX line of amplifiers and other value amplifiers coming out recently. Saw one at my dealer about an hour ago and was surprised I had not seen anything about this amp until now... PX1700 is the first model in the line and the price was 379$ which is excellent for a Yorkville amp. Power wise, it seems to be right in the middle of a GX3 and GX5. I've always found Yorkville's AP amps very expensive, so this should be a welcomed line...

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=30&cat=66

Al

• Members

Yorkville's new PX line seems to be similar to QSC's GX line of amplifiers.

Al

How? Because you plug a mixer into one end and a speaker into the other? Seriously, this amp has a defeatable limiter, is rated for 2 ohm operation, bridgable to 4 ohms, I don't see any selectable crossover, and the weight is considerably heavier than the GX series amps.

It is a 2 character series name ending in x, though.

• Members

How? Because you plug a mixer into one end and a speaker into the other? Seriously, this amp has a defeatable limiter, is rated for 2 ohm operation, bridgable to 4 ohms, I don't see any selectable crossover, and the weight is considerably heavier than the GX series amps.

It is a 2 character series name ending in x, though.

owned.gif

• Members

I really don't care about amplifiers these days since I only use powered speakers. I do like Yorkville as a manufacturer - as do many others and I wanted to share the news of this new line of amps since Yorkville does not realease new products very often. As mentionned, I saw it during lunch and noticed the price, power output (and PX name) which made me think of the GX amps from QSC. I did not sit down and do a complete analysis of the amp vs the GX series since I don't really care about amplifiers. I figured those interested would be able to click on the link and read about the amp and did not really expect to be criticized for my wording / comparison...

• Members

The new Cadillac CTSV has 500+ Horsespower... so that means you can compare it to a Lamborghini, and announce it with great fanfare after only glancing at the basic specs because it must be the same, right?

Jesus... I saw a new product in the showroom - I wanted to share the info with those who might be interested. I don't use amplifiers anymore, so did not really care about the detailed specs. I have re-worded my original post. Wow.

• Members

Now we get it. You're really a powered speaker kind of guy, so if you've seen one power amp, you've seen them all.
:rolleyes:

2 ohm stability and bridging capability would not have been a big deal to me. In the 15+ years I have used amps+passive speakers, I always avoided running at really low impedances and bridging. A crossover function like the one found in the GX series can be useful however. AS MENTIONNED, I did not do a true comparison of the GX and PX before posting my thread and have modified my original post.

Why the condescending comments? I've always been a friendly poster to everyone in this forum. Those of you who don't like my posts can choose not to read them. Simple as that.

Al

• Members

It's a joke, Al. They do joke in Canada, don't they?

Of course I have a very good sense of humour - but with the internet it isn't always easy to guess the tone of the poster's reply. I guess the rolleyes didn't help. DCastar's comments did seem condescending as well, so I guess this is putting me on the defensive...

• Members

I think what brought the tongue in cheek posts was the manner in which the thread was started... all caps "NEW AFFORDABLE..." and then the comparison to the QSC GX line which, by all accounts here, is a highly regarded, often suggested, bulletproof amp. Then Al stepped in it a little deeper when he indicated in his defense that it was a cursory glance (at best) at the product during his lunch break, then slips a little further still by indicating that passive systems requiring amps don't interest him anymore so he didn't really delve into the specs.

Frankly, the Lamborghini/Cadillac analogy is pretty spot on if you think about it. Without knowing all the details of the NEW AFFORDABLE amp, it's kind of hard to defend the comparison of the Yorkville amp to the QSC... especially when the feature sets of the amps aren't really all that comparable. Simply announcing a new amp from Yorkville without the glowing adjectives, all caps headline and product comparison would have been completely understandable and, I'm sure, a welcome post. No offense, Al.

Stix

• Members

I got pretty excited until I saw the weight - bah humbug!

Traditionally at least the Yorkville amps have been extremely hardy. I bought two used Yorkville amps fifteen years ago and they are still in service. Heavy, but still in use.

I see similarities to the GX line in price. And "up here" price is a big deal, if you're wanting to go Yorkville power amps. Putting durability aside, Yorkville amps have always seemed pricey to me. So in a way, I think this line might be replacing Yorkville's old line - aimed strictly at the existing market at a lower price point.

Actually, I'm hoping against hope that the specs are wrong, and that 35 lbs is closer to 20 or 25 lbs. That IMO would be a reason to consider Yorkville for sure.

I could also use them in my hobby installs. I've been using the AP1020 which is still more expensive than the amp linked in the OP.

EDIT - Looks like the AP1020 has been discontinued (I think) and the nearest amp in power is the AP2020 which sells for $1025.00 up here!

• Members

I think what brought the tongue in cheek posts was the manner in which the thread was started... all caps "NEW AFFORDABLE..." and then the comparison to the QSC GX line which, by all accounts here, is a highly regarded, often suggested, bulletproof amp. Then Al stepped in it a little deeper when he indicated in his defense that it was a cursory glance (at best) at the product during his lunch break, then slips a little further still by indicating that passive systems requiring amps don't interest him anymore so he didn't really delve into the specs.

Frankly, the Lamborghini/Cadillac analogy is pretty spot on if you think about it. Without knowing all the details of the NEW AFFORDABLE amp, it's kind of hard to defend the comparison of the Yorkville amp to the QSC... especially when the feature sets of the amps aren't really all that comparable. Simply announcing a new amp from Yorkville without the glowing adjectives, all caps headline and product comparison would have been completely understandable and, I'm sure, a welcome post. No offense, Al.

Stix

You do make good points. I guess I shouldn

Archived