A question about my Unity Processor (crossover)

• Members

I have a unity processor for my system. Here's a pic of the front and back. This isn't the exact one, but similar. Mine is all TRS.

09a40549a5ac013bf43d40ecb223.jpg

Starting from the outside, you have your subwoofer signal, then 2 jacks. Depending on the setting, they are either for bi-amping, or an either or for full range (minus the crossed over lows, of course) the innermost pair are the inputs...

Since I use them in "full range" mode (minus the crossed over lows, of course) I'm able to use either pair to send a signal to the power amp for the mains.

Here's my question.

Can I wire up both sets of connectors. One set going to the power amp (that's how it is now) and can I wire another set to the panel, as an easy tie in, on the off chance the wired in amp goes down....

The second set would not be used, but would be there to quickly tie into, if there's ever a problem... From the looks of it, I'm not 100% sure if the second set is active, in "full range" mode. If not, would running a splitter from the one line out, in similar fashion (one line to the amp, one line to the panel) present any problems...

• Members

I don't know that I would bother. If the wired in amp goes down, I would unplug the cables from the rear of the amp, and add two temporary extension cables to where ever the new amp is sitting. Complexity at the rack is something I try to avoid since combat audio failures will take less time to troubleshoot.

• Members

True, but with the nature of the rack, and the venues, it's usually dark as hell, and the new Amps sit further back. I can literally have an extra 2 amps sitting in a rack, ready to go, and of either a monitor amp or the FOH amp goes down, it would be a matter of hopping a couple cords to patch in the new ones.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking about what you are saying. That's true, I could have the Extra FOH inputs already plugged in, then it would be a matter of pulling them out of the dead amp and patching them to the new one.

Hmmmmm....

I'll take a look after work, and see how accessible they are...

• Members

I faced a similar issue because I use IEMs sometimes, and for others I use wedges. At first I was plugging in whatever I was using. Then I realized the power amps and IEMS both had pass through jacks. I just ran from input panel to the IEMS and then to the power amps. I use whichever I need and generally just leave the power amps turned off. If your amp has a pass through jack, you could wire to both of them in daisy chain and just use the first one until it dies and then turn on the second amp and you are playing again as soon as you move the speaker connections.

I carry spare amps in my rack and made my panel connectors long enough to reach any amp (both the inputs and the speakon outputs.) If one amp dies, I just move the inputs and outputs in about 15 seconds and am playing again. I also mounted a power conditioner (read that as power strip with lights) on the rear rails so that in a rush I just turn on the rear lights to see, move the cables and play.

I don't think I would build in splitters and extra failure points if I didn't have to.

PS: The power conditioner does not have amps plugged into it. It does have the IEMs, and various DSP type things plugged into it for convenience however. This way I get benefit of the extra 8 AC plugs as well as the rear lights.

• Members

For dark stages you MIGHT be better served by putting an LED flashlight on a panel rather that a couple of jacks
;)

Beat me to it.

Those processors are convoluted enough IMO, without adding redundancy in the panel. I've got the one with the TRS connectors, and I can't remember how it works re: full range and the outputs, but I do remember it's counter to how I "think". I stopped using it a while ago and got a Driverack PX instead.

EDIT - Looks like I'm knocking those units, I'm not really, just never had luck with mine.

Archived