SRX 712 deployment

• Members

I am running sound this weekend in a small Opera House (420 capacity). Expected attendance 300+

Dimensions:

stage: 30' long x 20' deep

floor 50'x 100' roughly

balcony 15' above floor (75 seats)

I will be running 4 712's and 4 718's.

This will be my first time running 2 712's per side indoors. Would I be better off stacking cabinets horn to horn or running side by side? I have heavy duty speaker stands capable of extending 9' at 140lbs capacity. I have tested out stacking horn to horn using ratchet straps and it seems to be a safe option.

• Members

Just asking because I saw this exact setup at a show not to long ago. They had the cabinets strapped side to side and front to back. I tried the same thing in my shop and it seemed to be pretty solid.

• Members

The more I think about it the more it seems it could be an invitation for disaster. I have plenty of stands to run side by side. What would be a good splay method for this situation? This is a long room front to back. Would 2 712's delayed at say 60' from the stage be something to consider?

• Members

Just for liability issues, I wouldn't elevate the speakers in any manner they were not designed for. Can you put each 712 on it's own tripod? In this scenario I would be more concerned with safety than sound dispersion.

You are right. Modifications of this kind are probably not a good idea. Safety should always come first. Thanks for reminding me of that. I see so many dangerous setups on a regular basis, (places that I work) it may be influencing my sub conscience.

• Members

Side by side, inside cabinets (onstage) angled in ~20 degrees will probably be pretty close. Normally, if the balcony is very far forward, I might use a "balcony tip" (high fills) on top of the main speakers. You may not need tips with the 712's vertical pattern however.

Archived