Lavalier Mics

• Members

Anyone use lavalier mics for public speaking?

I need to invest in new wireless lapel mic.I do a lot of weddings where there is a minister on the site of the reception a lot.I have a older Jensen wireless headset/lapel combo,the headset works great,but when i use the lapel mic,it seems i have to turn the volume up quite a bit to pick up his or her voice to be loud enough.

I know that the mic has to be positioned correctly to pick up their voice but,sometimes,depending on what they are wearing,it is hard to find the right location.

I am looking for something that has a good direction pattern,anyone have any recommendations?

• Members

Lavs are great for video, but bad for amplified audio. Cardioid lavs are a pain, because the effects of boundary and proximity become problems. Omni lavs sound better and actually do a good job of isolating voice (no matter the position), but getting them loud enough for amplified speech can be tricky. People don't like wearing headsets, especially large and obtrusive headsets that tend to come with cheap wireless systems.

It really depends on the volume requirements and where the person speaking is positioned in relation to the speakers amplifying the audio.

• Members

Before performers got over being self concious about wearing headworn mics, Broadway sound designers used to hang tiny mics in wigs, on glasses (beards are great if you can get it right) and all kinds of wierd places (of course they had months of rehearsals to find out what worked and what didn't). Does the minister wear a rug? (just joking :-). What Mogwix said is basicly correct. In a SR situation you will never get the quality from a lav as you will from a headworn mic just due to it's positioning.

• Members

I don't do much theatrical sound but I log quite a few corporate presentation miles on lavalier mics. The more time I spend with them, I find the gap between them and headset mics becomes smaller. When purchasing equipment for a lavalier set up, bargain hunting is not the key to success. You will need both a mic and a sound system with a flat response.

• Members

Lavs are great for video, but bad for amplified audio. Cardioid lavs are a pain, because the effects of boundary and proximity become problems. Omni lavs sound better and actually do a good job of isolating voice (no matter the position), but getting them loud enough for amplified speech can be tricky. People don't like wearing headsets, especially large and obtrusive headsets that tend to come with cheap wireless systems.

It really depends on the volume requirements and where the person speaking is positioned in relation to the speakers amplifying the audio.

+1

• Members

I don't do much theatrical sound but I log quite a few corporate presentation miles on lavalier mics. The more time I spend with them, I find the gap between them and headset mics becomes smaller. When purchasing equipment for a lavalier set up, bargain hunting is not the key to success. You will need both a mic and a sound system with a flat response.

This is what I have found as well. The better the gear, the better a lav will work. A headset will just about always work better but if the user won't wear one, then it doesn't matter.

• Members

A room where everyone is sitting quietly and paying attention to you is one of those rare cases where a lavalier works in a live sound setting. Under circumstances like that, you wouldn't need a amp for an acoustic guitar for it to be heard either. I still don't like them for live sound situations, but this is one that works.

• Members

I do prabably 10 or so gigs a year where it's quite a bit louder, and lavs can work quite well. My mains are flown pretty far up stage too, and as long as position is good and the talent has some basic projection technique, it's notthe end of the world by any stretch.

Archived