compressor in mic channel

• Members

Just trying to figure this out, I have a digitech studio 200 effect processor that i am wanting to see how it will do on the compressor to a mic channel . I am wanting to hook this up to where the compressor will be in between the mic and mixer part of the chain. so would i plug the effect processor into the insert I/O to get it in the chain but where would i return it to?. I have stereo returns on the mixer, Would that be where i need to go to to get it back into the mix? my board is a behringer sx2442fx.

I am only wanting to try the compressor out that is on the processor so i can tell if i am really needing a compressor before i buy one, i dont like buying one and then not being able to use it for anything.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

no

ok, thanks . ok, another question , if i plug the compressor into the insert I/O will that put it between the mic and the mixer. I am needing it to be between the mic and mixer, I have been reading some on how a compressor / limiter will help with signal peaks and the mic signal in my vocal channel is too hot at times for me to get a good gain control on it. I have a inline pad but was trying to get away from starting to rely on them all the time. so i thought i would just try this instead.

• Members

ok, thanks . ok, another question , if i plug the compressor into the insert I/O will that put it between the mic and the mixer. I am needing it to be between the mic and mixer, I have been reading some on how a compressor / limiter will help with signal peaks and the mic signal in my vocal channel is too hot at times for me to get a good gain control on it. I have a inline pad but was trying to get away from starting to rely on them all the time. so i thought i would just try this instead.

Putting the unit in the I/O using the Y places it after the Mic preamp, and before the rest of the path.

What type of mixer are you using that your mic's are too hot for it?

• Members

Putting the unit in the I/O using the Y places it after the Mic preamp, and before the rest of the path.

What type of mixer are you using that your mic's are too hot for it?

ok well what could i do to put it before the mixer pre's ? it's a behringer sx2442fx

• Members

Buy an external preamp... but really why does this matter?

Well, sometimes i have people that sing , and the get right upon the mic pretty hard and i want to be about to control the signal peaks with it , i constantly have to ride either the gain knob or fader and I do the gain structure and set it up right, I don't have the problem nowhere else in the chain, just before my mixer pre's. when they really get up close to the mic this happens and i have told some of them about not getting too close to the mic, but they forget and i don't think they do it on purpose it's just they forget about it while they are focusing on their playing. that's why i wanted to get a compressor so it could handle this without me haveing to do it and make my job easier. The gain is set nearly all the way down i would say around 7 or 8 o clock. and i want to get more gain cause it is pretty much affecting my monitors and mains both. I have inline pads but i am trying to make it my very last resort in useing them.

• Members

You need an insert cable. It handles both the send and the return. If you do a search on any site (like gutar center/musicians friend) under cables you'll see what it is. It may or may not help at what you're trying to do. Either way its a cheap learning experience. I'm not familiar with the Digitech unit so I'm not sure what it's capabilities are.

• Members

you dont need to do this. just use a compressor in the normal manner and forget this tangential line of bizzare reasoning^^^

ok, well, will the compressor get my input signal volume along with the output volume. See, here is whats going on, My output to the amp is ok, it's great but it's just my mic to the mixer is where i am having the problem. the signal is too hot comeing into the board if i hook a compressor up the way you are describeing will that handle that part as well as the output?

• Members

what mic exactly is too hot? i'm having difficulty believing this is possible although i have seen some kick mics clip some mixer inputs on occasion but never vox. do you have the gain all the way down? any pads on that behringer?

the digitech you mention is the wrong tool for this job in any case. you'd be better off withsomething like a 166xl or 266xl imho.

"get my input signal volume along with the output volume" - care to translate that into something i can understand?

• Members

NO, no, and no.

You will adjust the input gain on the mixer so you do not overload the mic preamp. You will then run into the compressor via the insert (it's NOT a freekin' Y cable BTW, it's an INSERT cable which is wired differently) points and you will need to run your master and channel faders up a little higher to accomodate the difference in peak to average ratio. You can also increase slightly the make-up gain on the compressor if it has one but yo uneed to be aware ofthe possibility of overdriving the eq section if you use a lot.

Your tangential thinking makes me think you do not know what you are doing and may be better off without a compressor at this point.

• Members

what mic exactly is too hot? i'm having difficulty believing this is possible although i have seen some kick mics clip some mixer inputs on occasion but never vox. do you have the gain all the way down? any pads on that behringer?

the digitech you mention is the wrong tool for this job in any case. you'd be better off withsomething like a 166xl or 266xl imho.

"get my input signal volume along with the output volume" - care to translate that into something i can understand?

the mics that i am useing on the vocals are Samson R11's (going to get better ones soon.) and the kick mic is a audix f12 i think , it's in the fusion series i think thats the right number. the board it's self doesn't have any pads i had to buy a couple of inline pads, the digitech has a compressor on it it's a multi effect processor that has reverb , EQ,noise gate, compressor, etc. etc , i was just going to try it out and see if it really helped me with my situation if it did and i could tell a change then i was going to buy a real compressor.

get my input signal , i meant the signal from the mic to the pre's of the board. and my out put signal, from the channel to the power amp. that maybe the wrong terms to use , i might be looking at it all wrong.

• Members

NO, no, and no.

You will adjust the input gain on the mixer so you do not overload the mic preamp. You will then run into the compressor via the insert (it's NOT a freekin' Y cable BTW, it's an INSERT cable which is wired differently) points and you will need to run your master and channel faders up a little higher to accomodate the difference in peak to average ratio. You can also increase slightly the make-up gain on the compressor if it has one but yo uneed to be aware ofthe possibility of overdriving the eq section if you use a lot.

Your tangential thinking makes me think you do not know what you are doing and may be better off without a compressor at this point.

well, i will be the first aged to tell you that i don't know a lot about a compressor, that's why i posted this thread. i was just trying to learn about something that i could possibly use that would be a better option than useing inline pads. as i have stated before , everywhere else in the chain is great , the EQ isn't clipping and the power amp isn't clipping. the only problem that i am haveing is from the mic to the board, i am running through a snake of course. it's not really much of a problem , i just wish i could get my gain on up so i could have a better sound and more headroom to work with without it clipping. and i was thinking that a compressor would be what i was needing for that.

• Members

I have no idea about that mic, but i do have a mixer like yours that i use occasionally.... Might sell it sometime... And i have no idea how the gain could be too hot when its all the way down.

Dont you mix bluegrass bands?

A compressor will help flatten out the peaks - like others have said - but (and i learned this the expensive way) it is not a cure all....

I think the issue you are describing sounds very strange. I dont really understand what you mean by clipping and why you would require inline pres on that mixer just to get the gain down.

• Members

I have no idea about that mic, but i do have a mixer like yours that i use occasionally.... Might sell it sometime... And i have no idea how the gain could be too hot when its all the way down.

Dont you mix bluegrass bands?

A compressor will help flatten out the peaks - like others have said - but (and i learned this the expensive way) it is not a cure all....

I think the issue you are describing sounds very strange. I dont really understand what you mean by clipping and why you would require inline pres on that mixer just to get the gain down.

I don't know why it does that either. It's a pretty decent little board, but i know i could do better. do you have any problems with the signal very hot going into the board when you PFL it on that board?. that is really what happens to me , when i PFL the mic is when this happens. I do mix some Bluegrass bands , I do pretty much any band that is at festivals tho. this next weekend i have to do sound for a Christian praise and worship band. and the electric bands are what i have the most problem with. but getting back to the Clipping, when i PFL the channel to get the gain set , it always goes from green to the yellow into the red. and it says clip on it. and i turn the gain down to nearly off and have to turn my fader up a pretty good bit to get it at the volume i need and then during the performance they get a little too close into the mic and then it goes into the red again and i have to turn the gain dow a little more. ,. I would love to keep the fader as low as i can get them and have the gain up pretty high. maybe if i could shoot a video or get some photos of what i am talking about it would help ya'll understand better. also when i am setting the gain , i get the singer to sing the loudest song that he is going to sing while i am setting his gain on the mic and also with the drummer i get him to kick as hard as he is going to kick the kick drum and i get it set at a good setting and then when they play i have to set the gains a little lower than i did while setting the gain. thats about all i can tell ya'll

• Members

have you verified that you are actually clipping the channel and dont have some stupid button pushed that changes the way PFL functions on your board?

a basic compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal. it can also be used to do fancy things with sidechain application or reverse compression or expansion etc but a basic compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal. it will not prevent a clip to your preamp, a lower trim setting or pad is required for that. i still dont believe you cannot set your input trim low enough to never clip with a vocal mic.

you seem to have some very strange ideas about audio, such as keeping your faders low and trim hot. dont think like that; run the trim down where it needs to be and run the faders up where they need to be.

Archived