Wow I just discovered this crack on my guitar

AquariusOG

• Members

The original thread is long gone - it was probably close to 10 years ago. If you search the HC archives you can find it but its been butchered by all the changes in the forum during that time. it was archived at the Krash Site but thats gone away too. I thought I might have it on my hard disc or on a floppy somewhere in a drawer but I haven't seen it.

It would really need to be completely rewritten and I simply don't have the energy or heart to do that now.

• Members

When I look at the pictures in the first posting and compare that to the bracing pattern on a 1 series Martin (the so called " hybrid X bracing" used with the M&T neck joint) you'll see that big transverse brace, the ends of the X and the smaller A frame braces all cross in the area where the crack is. Frankly, I'm not too sure how it would have cracked in the first place (humidity or otherwise) and its very possible that one or more of the braces are loose. I would trust the repair person to determine that and reglue the braces (if needed) along with stabilizing the crack.

D-1_hybrid_top.jpg

• Members

So I just got my guitar back. It was glued up and a cleat was put inside the guitar for support. The crack is still Barely visible but it doesn't matter to me :) in going to let sit in its case for a bit with my homemade humidifier. Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm a bit new to guitars and you guys have helped a lot ! Thanks 😁😁👍🏼

• Members

What's the relative humidity in your dwelling at the moment? Probably above 50 this time of year, unless you live in a naturally dryyyyyy place like Arizona, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, etc.

So, basically, you would want your guitar to reside in, all things being perfect as perfection could possibly perform, 50% rH. Or is it Rh, or just rh...anyway, 50% relative humidity.

Don't sweat the 40's or 60's, but below is not real good, and above, like on a real humid day, won't kill it. It's the low you should monitor.

Unless you live someplace, oh...say Vietnam, and then it may get so wet it'll implode. :)

• Members

One of the worst things is that when we turn on central heat in our homes it really drys the air - I live in the rainy PNW but the RH might still only be 20 percent in doors. I have a very hard time controlling it in my shop where I try to maintain 40-45 and my wood storage room (which is also my wine cellar) stays at 45.

Unless you live in the tropics the best thing is simply to keep it in its case (for protection too) with some sort of humidifier. Almost impossible to go wrong.

• Members
What's the relative humidity in your dwelling at the moment? . . .

. . . Don't sweat the 40's or 60's, but below is not real good, and above, like on a real humid day, won't kill it. It's the low you should monitor. . . .

A quick web search says the RH in LA is 46% as of 1:25PM local time, with a temp of 75°F, indoors probably a bit less. A hygrometer is a very good idea. I bought a used one on eBay and it sits on a shelf near my guitars. Here's a tutorial on calibrating one: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm#step1.

Archived