Anyone have any experience with the Wharfedale Sub 15A?

• Members

http://wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/TITANACTIVE/TITANSUBA15/tabid/182/Default.aspx

Active, 15 inch bandpass design. I did a search on here and couldn't find any info. I also can't find many reviews online either. A buddy is thinking of buying a pair. Cost is $1100 for the pair new. He would like to use them for a traveling worship band playing for up to 150 in small churches. He is aware they weigh 110 pounds each, but is willing to live with that if they sound good and can keep up with his Titan 12 actives.

I suggested a single PRX 618-xlf, but he was hoping to get two subs and place them on each side of the stage. Thanks in advance.

• Members

I had purchased a set of Titan A12 subs and was generally underwhelmed with their performance. On top of their weak performance, they also had non functioning limiters and limit lights out of the box.

I do own a set of Titan 12A powered tops which I have been very happy with, but cannot recommend the subs. Perhaps the 15As are better given their much bigger size and heavy weight BUT a single Yorville LS801P would be a much better investment IMO and would keep up with the Titan 12As just fine. Also, Yorkville's customer service is 500X times better than Wharfedale's...

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I did a Dinner Show to tracks in November last year for the Kinettes using a pair of MRX512ms and I was followed by a DJ usiing a pair of DB Opera 415s and a pair of Wharfedale 15As.

The MRX512ms sounded fabulous in a hall seating about 120 ppl. Very clear and pleasing to the ear, and smooth.

It was an hour long and I really enjoyed the sound, and I worked the crowd with a wireless mic, as is my custom.

When I finnished, the DJ lit his gear up for dancing, so I got a good chance to hear his setup playing various genres of music. I can say that the DB opera 415s were noticibly inferior sounding and not smooth at all. Just an edgy sound that was harsh in the upper mids.

The Whafedale subs were just muddy and unfocused, with that single note predominance. I remember them specifically due to the not so pleasant looking grey box.

Among my sets of subs, I have a pair of really nice sounding 6th order bandpass subs that I designed in 1985 which are tight, clean, and linear sounding.

It is no wonder ppl have the impression that all bandpass subs are one note wonders if they sounded as lousy as these Wharfedale subs.

In a word, the sound system was annoying!

• Members

Did a teen dance last night (after 5 years of strictly doing weddings/anniversaries) and it really gave my system a workout - which is what I expected. It was a halloween dance in the school cafeteria and it was just awesome. :thu: I told the teens right from the start that there was a request sheet on my table and that I didn't answer if I was asked what I would be playing next so - I wasn't annoyed all night, which was great. I also spent a few nights going over top 40 charts and countdowns to make sure I was up to date and knew what to play.

Anyway, as with parties where I know people are going to want ''LOUD" such as college graduations or teen dances - I brought my Titan 12 actives paired with my LS720P sub - which I corner loaded for maximum boom. I ran the system close to limit all night and IT WAS LOUD. The 720P is a really good performer when boundary loaded - as I imagine is the case with most subs. It really is smooth in its response (compared to my old 700P) and goes down pretty low too. The Titans were LOUD which is exactly what I wanted and needed for this event. At the end of the night, the 720P was nice and cool to the touch while the Titans were warm but not too hot to touch.

Tonight, I have a 40th anniversary to do. Different speakers will be required of course since I am in a different hall and on a stage and have a different crowd. Subs don't work well on a stage, but I still want a full sound - so I will bring my NX55Ps. The Titans could work, but their sound would be much less pleasant and much less appreciated for this type of event and crowd. Although both the NX55P and Titan are supposed to produce the same SPL, the Titans appear MUCH MUCH louder - probably because of their more agressive sound.

Anyway, all this to say Wharfedale does make some decent equipment, but it generally is not very refined in its sound quality and is more a good ''bang for the buck'' type brand. a pair of those Titan A15s would probably be great coupled to a pair of Titan 12As for teen dances - for example BUT might not be so welcome for use at a fancy wedding. Different tools for different applications...

Al

• Members

Active, 15 inch bandpass design. I did a search on here and couldn't find any info. I also can't find many reviews online either. A buddy is thinking of buying a pair. Cost is $1100 for the pair new. He would like to use them for a traveling worship band playing for up to 150 in small churches. He is aware they weigh 110 pounds each, but is willing to live with that if they sound good and can keep up with his Titan 12 actives.

I suggested a single PRX 618-xlf, but he was hoping to get two subs and place them on each side of the stage. Thanks in advance.

Check out the Proel Flash15SA. I've had my pair for several years and couldn't be happier with them. And under 70lbs each.

Archived