Funktion-1 Vs Meyer

• Members

Let's discuss.... Is it shades of gray? I've heard both in very good deployments, and both with Live music & DJ sets.

Bottom line is that one can't go wrong with either; the Meyer has detail that few Rigs have, and a sweetness to the sound that add so much musicality.. The F1 is Bold, forward, and has all the detail of the Meyer, yet seems to sepak with more authority.

What are your thoughts? Opinions?

discuss...

Todd A.

• Members

I have heard great things about Function 1, but I have never used their products.

Meyer is great products for me have been hit or miss on sound quality, there seems to be something missing on the sound.

Would you put the KF650/SB1000 in the same league? I sometimes wonder about the 100-400Hz region in a single 15" (a lot of what I do is EDM).

• Members

I think the application may be important here. Packaging and approach is VERY different and Funktion One does not cover the compact market very well.

From what I know about the company, it's the Turbosound approach but targeted very much to the dance music industry.

• Members

I think the application may be important here. Packaging and approach is VERY different and Funktion One does not cover the compact market very well.

From what I know about the company, it's the Turbosound approach but targeted very much to the dance music industry.

You are completely correct Andy- as you know I do a LOT in that vein. Talk to me about the "Turbosound Approach"- I have some gaps in my knowledge there that I'd like to fill.

F1 now has some what I would call mid-sized type stuff, which is where I'd like to go- The Resolution 3 Enclosure & the 218 Sub. Prolly just a fantasy, but I liek these debates. :)

• Members

Well Bill, I would *if* i was looking merely for sonic quality. The big issue here Is that I have an investor that will want a return on the investment, and all the promoters that I work with would highly prefer the F1. I have really liked the Meyer setups I've heard, expecially a Guy who runs Motion Audio here in L.A. I think better than an F1. Thus my question. no doubt the F1 speaks with more "Authority" though.

T

• Members

Turbo used larger multi-way cabinets, horn loading (sort of) mids, folded horn bottoms, etc. Brute force sort of solution. Meyer has moved away from this (they had some similar cabinets in the day) towards compact and high def.

Yes, Gotcha, I understand now. yes this is very true. I have to say that Folded horns protect the drivers better than Front loaded Cabs (from a physical POV- elements). Meyer is also a lot of self powered stuff as well. and It goes DEEP.

I have to be honest and say that EAW is still my fav "sound" if that can be a term... hehe Love this stuff.

• Members

Would you put the KF650/SB1000 in the same league? I sometimes wonder about the 100-400Hz region in a single 15" (a lot of what I do is EDM).

Depends on the Meyer boxes your talking about. I don't think Meyer has a box that competes with the KF650 (~60 x ~60).

But the KF850 matches up with the MSL3/4 boxes pretty well, the 2 boxes are both ~40 x ~40 in dispersion. Throw in a Turbosound Aspect and/or Flashlight and you've got a good little battle.

My good points

KF850 - Every touring guy knows this box

MSL3/4 - Self power

Aspects - Newest speaker in this class

Flash/Floodlights - Compact Loud boxes, can be had for little money (but needs 3 amps channels per box).

• Members

You can always step up to the KF 850. But that top is almost 300 lbs though. Ratsound is clearing a few of the KF 850 out. They are near your neck of the woods. 4 KF 850s with maybe 6 JBL SRX 728 should be plenty to cover 99% of your gigs. Get yourself a big rack with a Crown Ma5000s and 2Ma 3600s and a MA 1200. This will serve you well for years. Just get a bunch of young eager helpers to follow you around to setup/ tear down.

• Members

You can always step up to the KF 850. But that top is almost 300 lbs though. Ratsound is clearing a few of the KF 850 out. They are near your neck of the woods. 4 KF 850s with maybe 6 JBL SRX 728 should be plenty to cover 99% of your gigs. Get yourself a big rack with a Crown Ma5000s and 2Ma 3600s and a MA 1200. This will serve you well for years. Just get a bunch of young eager helpers to follow you around to setup/ tear down.

All true; but part of the equation here is to create the bookings... and while the KF850 is one of the most rider friendly speakers for live sound, EAW isn't often in the EDM scene- even though they should be. But EAW isn't known for Light stuff, hehehe. I will say that my LA325's will always be my mid system. Love those damn things, and they sound fantastic. but I digress...F1 & Meyer are both very present within my circles of EDM...

T

• Members

;)

but it's fun to talk shop, no?

Absolutely.

Knowing what you do, and having dealt with similar entertainment environments, I really think the F1/Turbosound approach is what you want. You're already part way there with your rig design. The elements of your system that you have been happiest with are those brute force SPL-per-watt pieces.

So, it sound like you are looking to crush large numbers of people on a budget.

KF rigs also might be a choice for you. Especially given the poor resale and relative ease of availability around here.

Or maybe TS or F1, or whatever. Follow me?

• Members

Absolutely.

Knowing what you do, and having dealt with similar entertainment environments, I really think the F1/Turbosound approach is what you want. You're already part way there with your rig design. The elements of your system that you have been happiest with are those brute force SPL-per-watt pieces.

So, it sound like you are looking to crush large numbers of people on a budget.

KF rigs also might be a choice for you. Especially given the poor resale and relative ease of availability around here.

Or maybe TS or F1, or whatever. Follow me?

Interesting you picked up on that re: the KF- that's what I thought my next rig would be: KF650's (4) over SB1000's or perhaps KF940's. I LOVE that sound. I love the EAW "Sound". I'm seeing an business opportunity here though, as there are so few of these rigs in play in the mid-scale market. EAW is too heavy; Turbo has some pull as well, but they exist already- lots around. F1 is the next evolution of that sound. Meyer is in the race because they sound amazing, and a number of very good deployments by one cat in particular have put them in the mindset of my community.

T

• Members

Seriously, knowing what Meyer offers in your market, I think you can out-do it with fewer larger boxes.

The Meyer approach is fantastic for the 80% of the industry where (1) pack size, (2)overall sound quality, and (3) SPL are very important... in exactly that order.

So as I see, You've got a big niche to exploit... All those opportunities where number 3 may outweigh 2 or 1.

Actually, it seems you're already doing the stuff those customers want. Maybe you're just not getting paid commiserate to what those customers expect to get their infrastructure provided for.

• Members

Seriously, knowing what Meyer offers in your market, I think you can out-do it with fewer larger boxes.

The Meyer approach is fantastic for the 80% of the industry where (1) pack size, (2)overall sound quality, and (3) SPL are very important... in exactly that order.

So as I see, You've got a big niche to exploit... All those opportunities where number 3 may outweigh 2 or 1.

Actually, it seems you're already doing the stuff those customers want. Maybe you're just not getting paid commiserate to what those customers expect to get their infrastructure provided for.

Actually not quite; my rep has gotten good because i DON'T get it too loud. That being said, I'm looking into filling a different niche, where #3 & #2 are most important.... #1 is still up there. you're rasing some great points here though, and i dig your perspective.

Archived