AES (Audio Engineering Society) Official Show Report 2016

Another one of the demo rooms upstairs...

fetch?filedataid=120880

fetch?filedataid=120881

Remember what I said about noteworthy engineers being everywhere at AES? Many of them were apparently scheduled to appear at the Harman demo room.

fetch?filedataid=120882

Here's another one of the rooms in between sessions.

fetch?filedataid=120883

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KRK was showing off their revamped V series studio monitors. Stay tuned for a HC review.

fetch?filedataid=120888

The grilles come with the monitors and can be user-installed if desired.

fetch?filedataid=120889

Some of the demo rooms upstairs look down on the main floor. Here's the view from the Gibson Brands room.

fetch?filedataid=120890

fetch?filedataid=120891

Okay, there's a little story behind the next couple of pictures. I was headed back downstairs when I spotted Geoff Emerick going up the escalator in the opposite direction. I grab my camera and try to get a picture, but by the time I did, he was already past me...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31826153[/ATTACH]

What did I do? What do you think I did? There was no one behind me, so I ran up the escalator in the "wrong" direction! I could say that I did it just for you dear reader, but the truth is that while I've met many famous people over the years (and have worked with some of them) and I know a lot of other engineers, I had never met Geoff, and I was not going to let the opportunity literally pass me by. I shook his hand and he was kind and gracious and gave me a big smile for the picture. I told him I was sorry to bother him but that "they'd" shoot me if I let the chance to take his picture go by. I didn't tell him that the "they" were the voices in my fanboi head... :lol: After all, this is the guy who waxed The Beatles' Revolver at age 20, and Sgt Pepper too... not to mention Imperial Bedroom and countless other classic recordings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31826154[/ATTACH]

• Members

Phil,

Thanks for the thorough coverage for us who could not attend.

I say it all the time but I don`t see anything revolutionary. It looks like a lot of the same old to me... how many microphones do we need, how many guitars, how many hardware compressors, pre-amps, etc...??? The only thing really exciting me these days are the keyboards. The amount of retro gear making a come back is great to see. And of course, its not as exciting but plug ins are really sounding amazing these days so...

EB

Phil,

Thanks for the thorough coverage for us who could not attend.

I say it all the time but I don`t see anything revolutionary. It looks like a lot of the same old to me... how many microphones do we need, how many guitars, how many hardware compressors, pre-amps, etc...??? The only thing really exciting me these days are the keyboards. The amount of retro gear making a come back is great to see. And of course, its not as exciting but plug ins are really sounding amazing these days so...

EB

You're welcome Ernest - and thanks for the kind words. :o

It's not just the same things and lack of revolutionary products IMO... it's the refinement of existing product types, and the increased availability. When I was getting started back in the 70s, being able to find (much less afford) some of those things you mentioned (a good condenser mic, compressor, mic preamp, etc. etc.) was difficult, but today you can find whatever you need, and often at very affordable prices.

Now we just need to start using it to make killer music. :idea:;)

• Members

I don`t know... I have a mic from 1996 which still sounds pretty darn good to me... AT4050... and a SM57... my mic pres are from 1999. The only real improvements I have experienced in sound are convertors, plug ins, and analog synths. I understand its your job to get excited about new gear but I`m not really impressed...

Archived