Abba daba Do or Abba daba Dont?

steve mac

• Members

I am trying to move my basic set forward a decade or so and with the amazing popularity of Swedish seventies pop sensations Abba am going to add one or two of their songs. A quick search of You Tube reveals that a few solo guitarist type acts have covered SOS (a long way from my favorite) but I wanted something a bit more "join-iny".

Anyone added any Abba to their set with either success or otherwise in terms of crowd reaction.

• Members

"Aba Daba Honeymoon" is an idiotic old song from 1914. Old songs -- idiotic and otherwise -- are my specialty. Looked it up and this popped up.

I have to say, the guy tying a rope to a tree branch had me a bit nervous about where this was going.

• Members
I am trying to move my basic set forward a decade or so and with the amazing popularity of Swedish seventies pop sensations Abba am going to add one or two of their songs.

You could do "money, money, money" while kicking your tip jar toward the front table!

• Members

I subbed in an Abba tribute band a few times. We did most of their songs, but never SOS. Maybe that's bigger elsewhere. Love them or hate them, those were some well crafted songs. However - I've found that Abba songs are great for a DJ, but can wear thin with bands... unless you're doing them in a well paid tribute band. Back in the old days, doing Dancing Queen and Heart of Glass (by Blondie) in the same set, made me question my reason for being on the earth plane. Nothing wrong with either of those songs, I just like them better as treats than as a part of a steady diet.

As daddymack suggested, Fernando might be relatively easy to convert to a solo. Feel wise Waterloo would also work, but it's got some fairly fast moving chords in the verse that may or may not be hard to incorporate.

BTW Steve, can I nominate you for the best thread title award? I think you Abbasolutely deserve it!

• Moderators

worked for a number of years with female lead vocalists from the late 80s to the late 90s, and had to cover a ton of the good, the bad and the ugly...somehow managed to avoid DQ until I sided with a former forumite who wanted to cover it as an instrumental [failed miserably, IMHO...].

• Members

I remember someone describing ABBA songs as having one hook line after another. Their songs had more than one catchy chorus as far as hooks go. I've never done an Abba song, even in bands back in the day with female singers. I couldn't imagine attempting to pull one off as a solo dude. Good luck Steve.

• Members

Yep, I worked with several female vocalists during the 80's and 90's - no shortage of bad material. after a string of female vocalists, we thought, why not try out a male lead. Unfortunately he could smoke, drink and snort better than all the previous ladies combined.

Archived