Handheld (live) condenser mics?

• Members

Hey Guys! lookin' to get one of those hand held condenser mics! for home karaoke and party use :facepalm: how are they compare to dynamic (like SM58) mics? I have a regular condenser mics I only use it for recording with head phones, tried to use it one time they feedback like hell! I guess there for recording use only :lol:

Looking at EV PL84 there on sale right now.. appreciate any inputs!

• Members

For that price pick one up and see. But for $10 more you could go with one of these.

I have 3 and they work quite well.

Dookietwo

thanks! that's what I was (EV PL84) lookin' to get.. Already have SM57,58's and AKG D5 (blows SM58,57 imo)

How are there's pickup gain and feedbacks in comparison with dynamics? they probably sound better hence condenser right?

• Members

I bought one of the PL84's a month or so ago. It is a good mic. As far as comparing to an SM58, it is a hotter mic, as would be expected being condensor. Also it seems to have crisper highs than the dynamic.

Is it good or bad? so being hotter get's feedback a lot?

• Members

Is it good or bad? so being hotter get's feedback a lot?

Makes no difference.

There are also condensers that are lower output than many dynamics.

I wouldn't even begin to recommend a condenser for your application. Does your Karaoke mixer have phantom power available?

• Members

Often a drawback, sometimes a major one.

+1

I first used the PL84 on my worship leader's vocals. She is a young lady with a high voice, sometimes nasal. This mic did not work well with her. But the EV ND767/A sounds great on her vocals.

• Members

Makes no difference.

There are also condensers that are lower output than many dynamics.

I wouldn't even begin to recommend a condenser for your application. Does your Karaoke mixer have phantom power available?

I use Mackie FX8 mixer with QSC K10's! and we rock the house (backward) down :lol:

I just want to try it..

• Members

Adjusting the eq in the mixer(?) didn't help?

I was able to eq it to sound better. However the mic was accentuating problem frequencies in her voice. The ND767/A just sounded overall better and more natural with her voice. When I used it to mic acoustic guitar it sounded great. Also with other singers it sounded good.

• Members

For the application you describe (karaoke/parties) I would suggest the most durable mic you can get. A condensor would be my last choice. In this scenario, your mic
will
get abused. Get a couple of SM58's.

For the price ($40) it sounds WAY better than any of my dynamics (sm57,58,akg d5)

I'm pretty anal about my gear! I make sure they don't get abuse. all of my mics still looks new :thu:

• Members

If it sounds WAY better than those dynamics, there's something wrong somewhere. Maybe you have some counterfit 57's and 58's... some of those sound dreadful and they are plrentiful too. Another possibility is that the bright high end is compensating for something missing in either the speakers or your hearing.

Actually, I heard somebody mix the other day and the system was so freekin' bright that it hurt. It was rip your ears off bright... and whentrying to hold a conversation with the sound guy he kept saying "huh?" That's a very bad sign, and he was in his middle 30's. He thinks he's a "rock star" right now, wait until he's in his 40's and can't hear {censored}. Then he will be unemployable (as a sound guy). He was offended when I mentioned that the system was rip your ears off bright and that he might want to schedule an appointment with an audiologist to be sure there wasn't something serious going on. The other sr. production techs thought the same thing I did. Damage like this leading to tinnitus is avoidable and the ramifications from tinnitus are life changing and painful.

Archived