The worst hit song ever?

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry about the repeat. I got here late and didn't have time to read a zillion previous posts.

There used to be a used record store in Miami (Blue Note), back when we had records, and Bob Perry had a "Wall Of Shame". On that wall were albums by Shatner and others, including Mrs. Miller. But I don't remember any of the cuts.

BTW, we do a light hearted version of "Surfin' Bird" and the audience usually loves it. I'll goof off doing shtick like announcing "Here's one I have trouble memorizing the words to" and then bury my face in a sheet of paper as if I'm reading them - or anything that comes to mind on the gig.

Notes

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I grew up in the 70s when country songs 'crossing over' to pop was pretty common. One annoying one that was played over and over back then was "Delta Dawn" performed by a teenage Tanya Tucker. It manages to combine the most annoying elements of country, gospel and blues.

Another horrible country/pop crossover was Kenny Roger's "Coward of the County". a song about a guy's girlfriend getting raped. Really? And the worst of it is when he whispers "...an' there was three of them!" like he's sharing some shameful gossip. But it's OK, though because it turned the Coward of the County into a fightin' man who went to the bar and whooped up on those Gatlin boys!

A couple of pop/rock stinkers from the 70s are similarly named "The Nights the Lights Went Out in Georgia" by comedic actress Vickie Lawrence and "The Night Chicago Died" by some band I can't remember. The first is about a corrupt justice system in a small southern town, and I think an innocent man is convicted of a woman's murder. The second song is about long-ago riots? gangland shootings? It's not quite clear, but "...'bout a hundred cops are dead." is one of the song's lyrics.

From the MTV era (early 80s) was "Gloria" by Laura Branigan (may she Rest In Peace). A super-simple, repetitive song, and again a singer with heavy vibrato. I didn't get the appeal, but it was played so much on the radio. Oh, and pretty much everything by Bonnie Tyler. :lol:

A couple of pop/rock stinkers from the 70s are similarly named "The Nights the Lights Went Out in Georgia" by comedic actress Vickie Lawrence and "The Night Chicago Died" by some band I can't remember. The first is about a corrupt justice system in a small southern town, and I think an innocent man is convicted of a woman's murder. The second song is about long-ago riots? gangland shootings? It's not quite clear, but "...'bout a hundred cops are dead." is one of the song's lyrics.

That was Paper Lace.

They did the original version of another dreadful song and had a hit with it in the UK - Billy Don't Be A Hero - although Bo Donaldson & The Heywood's version hit the charts in the US before Paper Lace could get their version out over here. The Night Chicago Died was their follow-up single, and it was nearly as bad...

• Members
Another horrible country/pop crossover was Kenny Roger's "Coward of the County". a song about a guy's girlfriend getting raped. Really? And the worst of it is when he whispers "...an' there was three of them!" like he's sharing some shameful gossip. But it's OK, though because it turned the Coward of the County into a fightin' man who went to the bar and whooped up on those Gatlin boys!

That is pretty terrible. There was even a made for TV movie based on the song. I was pretty young and forget if it implied rape or not. But yeah. If three men rape your girlfriend, the appropriate response is to challenge them to a manly fist fight.

Another thing about Kenny Rogers that I recently learned is that many of the hit songs I was familiar with as a kid first charted in recordings he made with his band. He later re-recorded the same songs with studio musicians for his "Greatest Hits" compilation in the 80s, and those are the versions we know today.

• Members

Another thing about Kenny Rogers that I recently learned is that many of the hit songs I was familiar with as a kid first charted in recordings he made with his band. He later re-recorded the same songs with studio musicians for his "Greatest Hits" compilation in the 80s, and those are the versions we know today.

Are you talking about his band 'The First Edition?'

I thought 'Just Dropped In' was a pretty good tune.

• Members

Pardon if these are repeats. I have to get ready for a gig in a few minutes. But we were actually playing my last contribution (Surfin' Bird) on the gig last night (for a hoot) and these two came to mind.

"Mule Skinner Blues" - The Fendermen

"Wolverton Mountain" - Claude King

Of course that is my personal taste (or lack of it) coming through.

Notes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Rupert Holmes the "Pina Colada Song" was hated by a lot of people when it first came out but it was his next single "Him' that was the first song I really remember thinking was just a bad song. Listening to it today for the first time in over thirty years I don't think it's nearly as bad as I remember it. It's actually kind of catchy and has good beat but at the time I thought it was god awful.

The next song I remember thinking was a really bad song was "Talk Dirty to Me" by Poison. I don't remember anybody liking that song actually and it became kind of a running joke at the place I was working at the time. I still hear it on "80s at 8" occasionally but unlike "Him" it just keeps get worse and worse every time I hear it. Everything about it is just plain wrong. Just awful. But it has fifteen million plays on YouTube !

Another song that I think is just plain terrible is "If You're Not The One" by Daniel Bedingfield. For me it just seems amateurish and awkward. No real hook and clumsy lyrics that don't seem to flow very smoothly. Since this song came out almost fifteen years ago I've heard countless songs like it though. Lots of songs on the radio today have weak melodies and no real hooks. Just a lot of vocal meanderings over backing tracks and beats.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Was enjoying the excellent, soulful Never A Dull Moment and thinking how this pud created a firewall of a cheesy reputation with stuff like "If You Like My Body" and this nightmare. Even the young kids I'm around today shudder at the mention of him, and are surprised at how different and great the older material is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
"Good" music and "bad" music are subjective. Each of us has favorites that others would condemn as Godawful noise. But some real stinkers have made the charts over the years. As proof, look back at the stuff you loved, say 30 or 40 years ago (or three years ago if you're not that old) and you may be surprised by how easily you were amused back then. That includes television shows, too.

It was much better to be easily amused. :idk:

Terry D.

Archived