The worst hit song ever?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

IF, and only if, "We Built This City" was written specifically for a Muppets movie (wasn't it in Take Manhattan?), then I'd give it a pass. Otherwise, yes, it is a bizarre confounding turn of events to see poor Grace Slick singing such garbage. The bit about Journey in the article explains it.... But honestly, I would take "Built this City" over any Journey hit. At least with Jefferson Starship, I can tell myself "they just did way too many drugs in the 60s. They can't control themselves afterwards."

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To see such vehement hatred of REM on page 1, I'm figuring the haters were just a generation ahead of me. Basing this completely on the anecdotal evidence of my own musical experience, I found that the groups I liked least were the ones that came out between 5 and 10 years after I had developed/established my own personal taste; a few years after establishing that, I hated new bands that clashed with it. Then I calmed down a bit, and lots of those bands that I hated (take No Doubt for example), I can go back and recognize many fine qualities in them. Umm, I still haven't found any fine qualities in Nickelback though.

• Members

How about "I'm Sprung" by T-Pain? #1 hit, triple platinum certified by RIAA. That's the one that sounds like someone practicing vocal scales through auto-tune about 100 times.

Elle King is super-duper irritating to me and she doesn't know what apostrophes are for.

Anything by Sugar Ray is vile beyond imagining.

I never liked Huey Lewis and the News either, but I have met many old timer San Franciscans who remember him fondly. Apparently, he was considered SF's answer to Elvis Costello or Joe Jackson. I don't hear it.

I love REM up through and including Automatic for the People. Joan Jett is a living legend, but only has a handful of songs I like, some of them covers.

• Members
IF, and only if, "We Built This City" was written specifically for a Muppets movie (wasn't it in Take Manhattan?), then I'd give it a pass. Otherwise, yes, it is a bizarre confounding turn of events to see poor Grace Slick singing such garbage. The bit about Journey in the article explains it.... But honestly, I would take "Built this City" over any Journey hit. At least with Jefferson Starship, I can tell myself "they just did way too many drugs in the 60s. They can't control themselves afterwards."

when you are paddling a surfboard on a rough day there is no better tune to hum !! ( :

[video=youtube;WANNqr-vcx0]

Slick !! ) :)

fetch?id=31549186&type=full

fetch?id=31535308

fetch?id=31535306

fetch?photoid=31477486&type=thumb

• Members

What the heck is on that Jazz Bass? Did anyone else notice that? First 10 seconds of the video - he's got some kind of stuffed animal draped over the strings. :lol:

It's a Jack Cassidy trademark to take a subtle jab at the fact that it was all fake. In one (Ed Sullivan?) the cord was wrapped around him and over the neck of his bass, with the plug clearly waving in the breeze.

• Members
I just read an article about an old Starship song being "the worst song ever. "

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/is-this-80s-no-1-hit-really-the-worst-song-ever/ar-AAiCaBe?li=BBnb7Kz

I don't exactly consider it to be a great song, but I think I can think of a worse hit song... can you?

I'll start:

Men Without Hats (or brains...)

Safety Dance.

(You can post the video to go along with your selection if you wish, but I'm going to refrain this time. If I posted the video, I'd have to ban myself. ;):lol: )

I like 'Safety dance'. It's odd and unusual.

I'd go for Joe Dolce with 'Shaddup ya face'

Archived